News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First Layout

Started by CURACAO, February 16, 2007, 05:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CURACAO

Hello there, i am new to the hobby.  I have The Explorer Set, First Railroad Track Pack and ez track expander set, some turnouts and crossing. 

What would be the best place to get some layout ideas?  How big should i start?  Since i am a newbie should i start with a 4 X 8 layout?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Is there is software that you could enter your track inventory and it will give you different layout ideas?

Best regards

Brian

SteamGene

Brian, I'm not sure about software that allows for your entering what you have that will spit out a track plan. 
A 4x8 is a good size to begin with.   If you are smart, you will add a turnout on one curve which will allow an expansion.   Keep the first one simple - oval, two sidings, a passing track, the aforementioned enterchange track and have fun, knowing that you can go from there. 
Don't try to cram all your track on your 4x8!  Leave space to begin building your world. 
Have fun and high balls to you. 
BTW, I could use a Curacao tank car, especially loaded!  ::)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jesse

Hi, I am also a newbie and I found some nice layouts at this site.

http://www.thortrains.net/poorhox.html

Brian, I meant to post that I love your home town.  My wife and I were there just last month.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

BIG BEAR

curacao,
   Please see "New ez track book" posting on this forum.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

CURACAO

Hey great to see that you have visted Curacao.  Thanks or the input i believe that i am going to try out the expansion layout that they used.  I started with a 4 X 8 but th eproblem is that i will not be able to use all the building and scenario i purchased when i was in the states.  When i go larger i run out of tracks.  I believe that i will purchase some more tracks and turnouts.

Are we aloud to ask on info of hobby shops to order where to order via internet?  Do you guys use ebay a lot?

All input will be helpful.

Best regards,

Brian

SteamGene

There is lots of information on hobby stores and mail order stores here.  In fact, there are severl threads going on right now.  Check the General board first.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jesse

Brian, Ebay has a lot of good bargains on HO gauge stuff.  I have gotten all of my engines and rolling stock from them.  As for hobby shops,  There are quite a few that you can order directly from....Bachmann is one, and another is Walthers.  I can't give you any info on customs for offshore purchases, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem.  Hope to meet you the next time we are in Willemstad....I was absolutely amazed at that swinging bridge.  We went across to the main part of town on the ferry because the bridge was open for boat traffic, but when it closed, we walked back.

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Paul M.

Trainworld has some cheap track. ;D eBay's good, too.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

keddiewye

if you want to try something less than 4x8, but which still has lots of interesting operations and scenicking, I suggest this great site:

http://carendt.us/

I've done two shelf layouts now, and both provide lots of operation, and plenty of scenery and detail work