News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC/DCC question...

Started by Warflight, March 24, 2017, 12:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

I was recently told that there are SOME Bachmann engines that are DCC only, that cannot be run on DC track. Seeing how I only have a DC controller (until I can afford a DCC one... so far, I keep spending my money on trains, and never have enough for a new controller) what should I be looking out for, to make sure when I buy engines, they are compatible with DC as well as DCC? (I do plan to get a DCC controller, but, that's a "in a few months from now" decision)

ACY

I think some older HO Bachmann Spectrum locomotives with Tsunami sound are DCC only. If you buy locomotives with an aftermarket decoder installed then those are often DCC only. Also older decoders are not dual mode, so avoid any locomotives with factory DCC that came out before dual mode decoders were invented.

Warflight

Okay, helpful... definitely helpful... do we know when the duel mode DCC decoders were invented?

Also, the Spectrums I tend to buy come in the black boxes, with the foam rubber... are there any types of packaging I should be looking out for, and double checking?

I wish I could find a timeline for packaging! Like, what years were each style of Spectrum packaging used? That would be helpful in my efforts to double check engines as I find them. I've been searching Google all night, but so far, I keep finding histories of the Bachmann company (and realizing of course, that I have owned more Bachmann products than I ever realized? My sister used to collect "Birds of the World", and I've had the sunglasses, and it's interesting to know that I have some surplus products made my Bachmann... I may have to display them with my Lionel Geiger counters now!)

Yeah... that's right... Lionel made Geiger Counters for Civil Defense back in the Cold War, and like the Victoreen, they still work today! I've even used a Lionel with research back before I retired! (I mean, come on... if you had to chose, wouldn't you use a Geiger Counter with the logo of a toy train company on it???)

ACY

As it pertains to Bachmann HO, the boxes would be black with gold lettering and foam inserts, but most importantly it only applies to the models with sound not those with just DCC as far as I know.
The best advice I can give is to test anything before you buy if possible.

Warflight

Yeah... there's a local shop I plan to start buying from... my "getting started" was buying from eBay a lot (some of the stuff I wanted to start with were only ON eBay) Though the shop is a bit more for SOME items (like loose track) they make up for it with knowledge (though, out of the six guys there, four were wrong about the Bullfrog Snot, but the other two were spot on) and they do have a few other things (like used engines, tested, and certified) that can be a bit lower, PLUS, I prefer supporting my local shops anyway. (and their magazine selection is great!) There are still a few engines I'm looking at on eBay, only because the local shop has like... two Bachmann engines, and they are both diesel, and old Bachmann Plus (pancake motors) and I only do steam... however, I have bought enough track, and bits and pieces from them (and am eyeballing an older steam engine they have that comes with the glass case) that I'll be able to order stuff through them, rather than having to rely on eBay, and trying to recoginize the colour of a box, because sellers don't always show all sides of a box, or warn that something is DCC only.

From what I'm gathering from the responses here, and a few things I found with Google, it seems I only have to be extra careful when it comes to Tsunami sound, and honestly, this DC issue is temporary, because again, I do plan to get a DCC controller in about two months or so (probably the simple Bachmann one, because I honestly want simplicity with my trains... I got into model railroading to quit drinking, so there's no need to buy stuff that will want to drive me to drink, yeah?)