News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track inventory

Started by Deland, March 26, 2017, 02:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deland

Is there an inventory list for EZ track? I want to come up with a list of what I have and decide whether to add pieces to reconfigure a track plan without having to take up the current one. If I have them, no problem but I hate to be without a layout (even though tamp) while I wait for p[ieces to arrive.

Terry Toenges

Do you mean what pieces are available?
This is from Model Railroad Hobbyist -  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/28191

Feel like a Mogul.

Deland

Thanks Terry, that helps some. I was hoping for with the part number since I'm not always seeing radii, but that may just be my vision. I guess I can use this and add part numbers from the Bachmann site. I'm actually wanting to determine if I have the pieces I need to put together a new track layout before I take down the old. If I have part numbers with what I have then I will only need to buy (and I may have enough) the track pieces to fill in the gaps, if that makes sense.

Hunt

The online store is a source for the info
Click Here

As well as the print Bachmann Trains 2017 catalog
Click Here

Deland

Thanks Hunt. I was over there writing down the numbers so I could make a spreadsheet while you were posting. I hope I can school myself to keep an inventory of what I have and add to it as I acquire track. That way I can always check to see what I need to order to build the next greatest layout.

Warflight

You know what I would love to see, would be maybe an HTML based program, that allowed you to put together EZ track, to get an idea of some track layouts, and what parts one would need to make them, as well as a footprint. And yeah, I know that are CAD programs out there for that... I even purchased one that supposedly had EZ track in it's inventory, but, it wound up being a useless waste of time, as I could never figure out how to do a damned thing with it, other than draw a straight line, and I can do that with MS Paint!

Something HTML would save me the trouble of downloading something that won't work, and usually folks that design stuff like that make them pretty fool proof. here's your track, here's your surface... now put it together! Done!

Warflight

Ooh... Okay, I take it all back!

I was doing some research after I typed all of that, found a program called "SCARM" (Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller) that is small, downloaded and installed in less than a minute, has Bachmann EZ Track in the program already, and was actually easy enough, that even I could use it! (I can't even program the clock on my microwave, so that says something)

I hope that's helpful to someone. (I'd give a link to it, but don't know if that's allowed, so, just Google it... SCARM, or Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller should make it show up)

Deland

Warflight, SCARM also has the ability to model houses, buildings terrain and even landscape (trees). Once you get comfortable with the trackplan part there are some tutorials for the other. In fact there are tutorials for the trackplnning.

Warflight

Quote from: Deland on March 26, 2017, 06:32:46 PM
Warflight, SCARM also has the ability to model houses, buildings terrain and even landscape (trees). Once you get comfortable with the trackplan part there are some tutorials for the other. In fact there are tutorials for the trackplnning.

FANTASTIC!

A while back, I was looking for something just like this, and got recommendations for some pay to use CAD program for trains (don't even remember the name of it) that had no EZ track (I am really determined to make a layout with only EZ Track, because I think I can... even bought the EZ Track book off eBay for $3, which, was well worth that price!) and the program was so hard to use, that I managed to make a straight line, and bend it, and that was after an hour of trying to figure the useless thing out.

I found SCARM completely by accident today, after kvetching about there needing to be something simpler (I was thinking something HTML, like the games you run across every so often) and the posting said it was free, and easy to use, so I downloaded it just to prove that wrong (I can be a bit of a kakfoygle like that) and well, I was very happy to have been wrong myself!

So far, I've made a few layouts with it today, including the idea I have been tinkering with for a while now... if I had a complaint, it would be that the track COULD be better labeled, and that when converting to Imperial, it gave feet as well as inches, but... I can do the math in my head, so, no worries there. It's already made me aware that a bypass I had in mind won't go together in the manner I wanted it to... (which I should have known from back when I attempted to build a layout back in the 80s)

So... now to experiment with buildings! w00t! (is there a file with brand name buildings? Or do I have to scratch build in the program itself?)

James in FL

Just curious and if I may ask...
What was the deciding factor(s) in you choosing the track system you did, or is it truly;
QuoteI am really determined to make a layout with only EZ Track, because I think I can... even bought the EZ Track book

Warflight

Well, I was into model railroading back in the 80s, and I HATED sectional track... it had so many problems until you had a layout to put it on, and even then, there would be dead spots, and the like. Well, my ex wife (been divorced 13 years now) HATED trains, models, or anything that might bring me joy of any kind, so I ended up leaving model railroading before ever getting a chance to do anything with it. After I left model railroading, EZ track came out, and I would see it in the stores, and thought it looked pretty cool... but, it was a bit too late.

So, a few years ago, after my sister died, I got into drinking, heavily... and about two months ago, I decided I was drinking too much. I was spending close to $300 a month on booze (that which I wasn't making myself) and decided it was time to quit, and I had watched a few BBC shows on model railroading, and remembered how much joy it brought me... so I decided to start collecting again, and use what would have been booze money for trains instead.

So, I remembered how cool EZ track looked, and there were others out there that were a lot cooler in appearance, however, back in the 80s, the "one that got away) train was the Bachmann John Bull. So I started my new collection with that, from eBay... followed by the DeWitt Clinton, the Pegasus, Lafayette, Prussia... one came with sectional track (being used to display them on the shelf) one was by itself, and the other three came with grey NS EZ Track.

I found, that unlike the sectional I was used to, the EZ track made a great display board for my Spectrum 4-4-0 I bought, PLUS, when I felt like having a drink, I found it easy to just take some of that EZ track, set it up on the bed, and run the trains for a bit. I like the study construction of the plastic, and just./.. well.. how easy it is. So I went to the local train shop, and bought a few more straight sections from their used pile, and got the "Hey, this more expensive track is better! You will never make a layout with EZ track!" and well, the one thing that will make me determined, is telling me I can't do it. Looking at the EZ track book I got, and some of the images from the Internet of properly ballasted EZ track, I think I can make it look good... and when I make my layout, I figured building my 4x8 (or 4x10... I haven't decided, but it will be after my move out of state) on plywood, with a layer of cork-board, will make the track a lot quieter, and the cork-board will help with the scenery I plan (I want to model the Old West) along with rock formations, canyons, and mesas made from broken ceiling tiles... plus, I will have the added benefit of having a track that can easily have pieces replaced, should I need to, or ever desire to change the shape of the layout.

Plus, I already have a butt tonne (metric tonnes are heavier) of EZ track now from those three sets, plus the stuff I bought, that it all comes down to cost, convenience, and I feel like I already know what I'm doing with the EZ track, and I'm not a big person on changing things all willy nilly. I'm old and set in my ways, for the most part.

On top of all of that, every time I've had an issue (so far, none with the EZ track, but, questions, and a DOA used Bachmann train from the 80s I got off eBay) the Bachmann people have been helpful, friendly, and a real mensch to me... so there's that tiny bit of loyalty as well. When I do build my setup, I will be painting, ballasting, and detailing my track, and roadbed, and I think it's something I can do.

I may not be able to solder very well any more, and the electronics are going to be a big challenge, but, when it comes to things like scenery... static things, I still have some skills left.

Terry Toenges

I think the Model Railroad Hobbyist pic above is one that one of their readers got from SCARM.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Quote from: Terry Toenges on March 27, 2017, 12:31:49 AM
I think the Model Railroad Hobbyist pic above is one that one of their readers got from SCARM.

Now that I'm looking at it, I believe you're right!

(still haven't figured out how to do buildings in it yet, but hey... I only needed for some track plans anyway!)