News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

Alright guys. As it has now been over a month since the 2017 announcements and Bachmann Oliver is FINALLY out, I thought that it would nice to start a 2018 predictions thread. I know that it is still rather early, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Anyways, here they are...

HO Scale
Trevor
Ventilated Van- Explosives
Flat Car with Pipes
Flat Car with Logs

Narrow Gauge
Narrow Gauge Duncan
Narrow Gauge Coach (Red)
Narrow Gauge Brake Van (Red)
Narrow Gauge Brake Van (Light Brown)

Resin Buildings
Ffarquar Station
Sodor Cottage

Large Scale
As I mentioned last year, since I do not collect large scale, I will leave that to the large scale people. :)
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

sean1994rail

Good suggestion, but can we leave 2018 predictions until later this year please?

Chaz

Quote from: sean1994rail on March 26, 2017, 04:34:27 PM
Good suggestion, but can we leave 2018 predictions until later this year please?

There's nothing wrong with giving suggestions for next year, even though I probably won't post my thoughts until later, if someone wants to share suggestions/ideas they have for next year then I think they have every right to.

I agree that HO will probably skip making an engine this year, but I'm hoping that in return they can do two narrow gauge engines.  Whenever I get around to making a post, I'll explain why I think this in depth later.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sean1994rail

I understand Chaz, but we just got the 2017 announcements. It was too soon for 2018 predictions IMO.

TrainFan97

I was going to wait until later this year, but now that this is up, I might as well post some suggestions.

HO engines (with explanations):

Sidney - Yes, I know he hasn't had as many appearances or appeal as Paxton, but it's not like suggesting Splatter and Dodge, because unlike them, Sidney actually has relevance, and he's a CGI character like Paxton. Splatter and Dodge are not CGI characters, nor are they relevant, plus they're one-off characters from a movie that wasn't even good. Though, I'd rather see engines using new toolings, and they should save Sidney for the next time they have to do a recolor.

Daisy - Ever since Daisy's return, she had been making plenty of recent appearances and even starring roles. Though, Bachmann still has yet to make a diesel who isn't a shunter, like I said in other threads. They can probably omit her eye mechanism, since Daisy doesn't have a fixed wheelbase. Even though she's a returnee character with plenty of recent appearances, she is just a personal preference.

Porter - Even though Salty is discontinued, it would be nice to see his new friend get made. Porter is also one of the likeable CGI characters, but the only problem is his scaling. Wasn't a problem with Bachmann Oliver. Maybe they can fix Porter's scaling.

Philip - Philip has been a very questionable character, and very annoying to many, but when you think about it, he's actually TAME compared to other unlikeable CGI characters, like Charlie, and those log-hauling idiots who shall not be named. Philip doesn't tell stupid jokes, or obnoxious rhymes, though he is a little clumsy. One thing that he needs to stop doing is going on about the time he had beat Gordon in a race, despite Gordon not joining in. Even though Philip's debut is recent, he has been making plenty of appearances. If he does get announced, I'm worried about a backlash.

Ryan - Ryan is also a more recent CGI character, but he's been making plenty of appearances in the show, and he's a very likeable character. Ryan also has a unique livery. Would be great to see him get made someday.

Black James - A recolor of James. Appeared in The Adventure Begins. I think this would be another good idea for if Bachmann needs to do a recolor, which would be James in his original black livery. Would be more interesting than Celebration Thomas. Though, this one might also sound more like a personal preference.

What do you think would be the most likely, if we get another engine?

The rest of my suggestions will be normal lists.

HO Rolling Stock:
Explosives Van
Troublesome Truck #6 (tanker, ventilated van, or utility wagon)
Spiteful Brake Van

Narrow Gauge:
Peter Sam
Coach
Brake Van

Large Scale:

Mavis or Duck
Cattle Wagon
Salt Wagon

Hard to see 'Arry and Bert getting made into Large Scale, due to how sub-par they did in HO Scale sales-wise.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TerencetheTractor525

I apologize sean1994rail. I just wanted to get a slow start for the 2018 predictions. I'm also looking forward to the two narrow gauge engines you are thinking about Chaz :).

I do really like TrainFan97's ideas. In regards to a new loco, if a large diesel such as Daisy does not work out, the next best engine would definitely be Ryan. As TrainFan97 mentioned, Ryan has made plenty of appearances and has a unique livery (the first purple engine in the range). He's also medium sized engine (in my view). Therefore, I would also love to see him in the range one day. However, if I had to pick between a new loco and a non-rail vehicle such as Trevor, I would have to pick Trevor. I also agree with the rolling stock suggestions since they are all repaints. However, one thing that I noticed is that ever since Troublesome Truck #3, Bachmann seemed to announce a new troublesome truck every three years. Because of this, I think that if Troublesome Truck #6 is announced, it will be in 2019. As for narrow gauge, Peter Sam would be another welcome addition from all fans. However, I thought that Duncan would be next because it may be that Bachmann is going in rainbow order. Lastly, do you have any resin buildings suggestions TrainFan97? I would love to hear :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

I don't really collect resin buildings, but I do have one suggestion: Ffarquhar Station

Another idea for HO Scale:

Diesel with analog sound -
So far, Thomas is still the only engine in HO Scale to have a sound model. There really should be more engines with sound. I think Diesel should be next, since he's the main villain of the show. Also, instead of whistles and chuffs, you'd hear his diesel engine running, and horn. I'd definitely buy Diesel with sound if that ever gets made.

As for new engines, probably the most likely suggestion would be Ryan, if Daisy can't be made. Unlike Sidney, Ryan would be an engine with a new tooling. Ryan is a tank engine with a unique livery, like I said above, since we have no purple engine yet. Ever since his debut in Lost Treasure, he's been a very well-received CGI character, and shined even more in Season 20. Unlike Daisy, Ryan actually has a fixed wheelbase, so he can easily have an eye mechanism. Ryan isn't as big as Daisy, but he is more detailed than her. I'd take Ryan over Philip any day.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

sean1994rail

http://www.strawpoll.me/12617412

My updated poll to see which bachmann Thomas engine should receive analog/analogue sound next.

sean1994rail

Quote from: TrainFan97 on March 27, 2017, 01:48:22 AM
I don't really collect resin buildings, but I do have one suggestion: Ffarquhar Station

Another idea for HO Scale:

Diesel with analog sound -
So far, Thomas is still the only engine in HO Scale to have a sound model. There really should be more engines with sound. I think Diesel should be next, since he's the main villain of the show. Also, instead of whistles and chuffs, you'd hear his diesel engine running, and horn. I'd definitely buy Diesel with sound if that ever gets made.

As for new engines, probably the most likely suggestion would be Ryan, if Daisy can't be made. Unlike Sidney, Ryan would be an engine with a new tooling. Ryan is a tank engine with a unique livery, like I said above, since we have no purple engine yet. Ever since his debut in Lost Treasure, he's been a very well-received CGI character, and shined even more in Season 20. Unlike Daisy, Ryan actually has a fixed wheelbase, so he can easily have an eye mechanism. Ryan isn't as big as Daisy, but he is more detailed than her. I'd take Ryan over Philip any day.

my suggestions for further Sound Fitted engines

Percy: Like with many manufacturers, Percy would likely be the next candidate for a sound chip.

Salty: As much as I would like to see Devious Diesel being the first sound fitted diesel engine in the range, I would go for a sound fitted Salty, to give him a second chance in the range since his normal separate sale model and set have been discontinued. can't have a Brendam Docks without him.

Gordon: Children will enjoy running a sound fitted Gordon at full speed, and it might be a good reason to bring back the express coaches.

TrainFan97

As for new engines, maybe someone can do a poll for everyone to vote for what new engine should be next in HO Scale. The list can include:

Sidney
Ryan
Daisy
Hiro
Stanley
Charlie
Porter
Philip

And anyone else. This is an idea for a poll.

Toad139

I would love to see a character like Arthur, but a that is unlikely. More realistic opinions I would like to see are Stanley, Samson, or Porter.

Any flatcar being reintroduced with a load would be cool. I could maybe see them bringing back the express coaches as well, considering there seems to be a demand for them now.

For the narrow gauge line, I would rather see the blue coaches and a blue brake van to go with them. I would also personally hold off on Duncan. His CG render is pretty trash so I think it would be better to make an engine such as Peter Sam or Sir Handel. I hope maybe in the future Arc/Jam will fix Duncan so the Bachmann model will have a nice render to be based off of unlike Oliver.

I love the idea of Ffarquhar station and another resin building could be the Sodor Shipping Company.

Captain Crutch

I would love to see Hiro or Ryan and maybe Stanley as well as some flat cars.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

TrainFan97

This is the year where the redesigned James is supposed to be out, so people need to keep their eyes peeled for that, as revisions happen unannounced.

Probably the worst looking model in HO Scale is Percy. Unlike Percy, James' problems are mostly paint, which can be easily fixed. Unfortunately for Percy, his problems are tooling errors: No rear dummy hook, no front coupler, no rear windows, bunker too high, and a really bad face.

Since tooling changes are a lot harder, we probably still shouldn't expect a new Percy tooling anytime soon, especially with the bad economy. It took two years just to get Oliver out there. Only one engine gets announced a year these days.

I don't know if they can just discontinue Percy and then re-release him with a new look. Probably not, since he's currently #2 in bestsellers. People are still buying him regardless. He, as well as Thomas, look SO outdated compared to the new models, as they were obviously the models that started the range. Their Large Scale models are how they SHOULD look, but sadly, I can't afford Large Scale. Like I said, we're supposed to get a paint redesign of James soon, but if tooling fixes to Thomas and Percy will ever happen, there needs to be a high enough demand. The range has been around for 15 years, and Thomas and Percy still look the same.

Gordon's Express Coaches were discontinued years ago, and a demand for them to return is starting to form. They eventually brought back the Salt Wagon. If they ever do return, Gordon will finally have his proper coaches again. No more going "Oh, the indignity" and being forced to pull freight. (I really crack up every time he says "Oh, the indignity!")

thomasj219

The range has been around for 15 years this year. That's hardly nearly 20.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

TrainFan97

Quote from: thomasj219 on March 28, 2017, 01:22:33 PM
The range has been around for 15 years this year. That's hardly nearly 20.

Typo fixed.