News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

If Bachmann were to look into making another line of Thomas products in another scale like N or O gauge, they first need to acquire the rights to do so.  Bachmann currently has the rights to produce HO in the US and in most other countries, aside from the UK as Hornby currently has those rights.  However, because the market is open for large scale in the UK, Bachmann is able to produce large scale Thomas models for both the US and UK.

Currently Lionel has the rights to produce Thomas models in O gauge and are still making money off their products, so already the odds of an O gauge Thomas range from Bachmann are out of the question.

Tomix on the other hand hasn't sold N scale Thomas models in the US for years, and most of what Tomix made (plus the ranges current revival) was selling only in Japan, still leaving no solid answer for what's going on with selling N scale Thomas in the US.  So already the odds of this happening are more likely and if anyone is interested I would be more than happy to explain my thoughts on why I think an N scale Thomas range has a lot of potential in another post.

For now though, I think it's more of a matter of having the rights to produce these models in a new range first before discussing what can/should be done. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

I DID say they needed the rights to do so first.

Right now, Bachmann only has the license to make them in HO, HOn30, and Large Scales. I'm well aware that they currently don't have the license to produce them in any other scales, so they simply can't until the rights are acquired.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

thomasj219

He was simply replying in more detail. No need to be sensitive about it.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Chaz

I agree with thomasj219 on that one, especially if we both agree on the same idea.  Kind of a silly thing to get worked up over. :P

The potential is definitely there for an N scale range, but again it all comes down to acquiring the license to produce these models and sell them to the US before anything else.  Personally I'd be thrilled if they were to pull something off since I used to collect N and I would find myself picking these up instead of O gauge or even large scale for that matter.

TrainFan97

I wasn't getting worked up. I was just being clear that I understand.

So, people in the UK have to rely on imports for the HO range, because of Hornby? That's what's holding Bachmann back from producing the HO models there?

Since Lionel's Thomas line is still alive and well, even though it's still small, the chance of Bachmann doing O Scale Thomas is very slim.

Go on and discuss the potential for N Scale.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

DinoNTrains

Quote from: TrainFan97 on May 20, 2017, 09:03:11 PM
Go on and discuss the potential for N Scale.

That's what Tomix do. They manufacture N scale Thomas trains, though they're primarily for the Japanese market (if I'm not mistaken).
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

AJW98Productions

I doubt we'll see Bachmann expand the range into another gauge next year, maybe this topic deserves its own thread. I believe we had one a while ago, maybe it's worth digging back up again, as the subject seems to currently be quite relevant again.

~Alex

Captain Crutch

N scale is possible for the same reasons Bachmann and Hornby have a coexisting range. Tomix is dedicated to the Asia market, Bachmann is available in most places that speak English. However now the big fighting ground is narrow gauge, no one but Bachmann has it so seeing as how popular it is we may see that get expanded into a new gauge in a few years, because no one does it, there's no competition yet.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

TrainFan97

Quote from: AJW98Productions on May 21, 2017, 06:05:20 AM
I doubt we'all see Bachmann expand the range into another gauge next year, maybe this topic deserves its own thread. I believe we had one a while ago, maybe it's worth digging back up again, as the subject seems to currently be quite relevant again.

~Alex

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30977.0.html This one.

Chaz

Well keep in mind it's all speculation at the end of the day so it works appropriately in this thread too.  Anyway here is why I think an N scale range has decent potential from Bachmann.

N scale is a lot more of a popular scale than one would think.  G scale modeling wasn't as popular with the Thomas audience until Bachmann started producing models, with the range not only exceeding expectations, but also attracting more people into garden railways more than Lionel did with their short-lived range.  Now if Bachmann were to obtain the license for N scale for the US, UK, and other countries outside of Asia, they would in no doubt make the same impact. 

An advantage N scale has over large scale is the small size.  Large scale models are a lot larger and expensive to produce and most consumers, who aren't older fans like us, typically would only buy only a handful of locomotives and stock due to the size and price.  N scale on the other hand, while not as expensive or large, would be easier for both older and younger audiences to collect due to being so much smaller and taking up less space.

Another advantage with N scale's small size has is it allows for a larger variety of engines and stock to produce.  Large scale could never pull off the likes of Gordon and Henry for that reason alone, as many of you know.  With N scale, with the Tomix Henry in mind, larger engines and rolling stock is a lot more of a good possibility. 

It's also worth noting that N scale models of Gordon and Edward in particular would be very popular sellers as Tomix announced models of these but never got around to making them.  I can't really see the range producing a ton of characters like in HO, but something along the lines of the steam team and a few other characters who sold well in HO would probably be the most I could see them do.

So, in conclusion I think an N scale range from Bachmann would be very popular and have decent potential.  I know this post is basically one huge "IF" since Bachmann hasn't even acquired the rights to making N scale models, so it probably wouldn't happen for at least a few years.  One can only dream, but if we are getting ready-to-run Skarloey engines, an N scale range from Bachmann doesn't sound so far-fetched.  Unlike large scale, this is definitely a range I would be interested in collecting, and something tells me I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

TrainFan97

Let's hope Mattel gives Bachmann the rights someday. I certainly want N Scale Thomas. Other than Tomix in Japan, Bachmann would have no real competition. Probably won't be for a few more years before Bachmann acquires the license. Maybe if N Scale Thomas becomes a big request, it could increase the chances of Bachmann getting the license. Don't really know about that though.

Like Chaz said, since Bachmann recently started doing the first ready-to-run Skarloey models, N Scale Standard Gauge is not out of the question. The HOn30 range started off as an experiment, but was proven very popular.

Having O Scale Narrow Gauge (On30), but no O Scale Standard Gauge would be weird.

Metal

I might be one of the few people that actually doesn't care about Bachmann making an N scale range, just a personal thing, but I'd actually be more excited about Bachmann making a new character for the HO/OO and/or NG Range.
And speaking of reviving a 2 year topic, if Bachmann did the Arlesdale Engines that would be neat, but that's extremely unlikely and they would be extremely expensive.

But in the end, I think Bachmann is doing fine with the current ranges.

TrainFan97

I really hope Bachmann eventually makes Daisy sometime in the future. Very unsure about it, since she's very different from all the other characters Bachmann released. She's a big engine, though a simple shape. The eye mechanism can be omitted, since Daisy doesn't have a fixed wheelbase. Bachmann has made a ton of larger diesels, but still has yet to do one in the Thomas line.

I think economics is making it more difficult. Economics is the reason why they could only announce one engine a year these days, and it's also why the more recent engines are tank engines and diesel shunters.

Will the diesel railcar ever get made? She's had starring roles, and plenty of recent appearances. Daisy doesn't have a claw like Diesel 10, and she wouldn't be too big, and shouldn't cost as much as Spencer. Yet again, what gets made is all up to Mattel.

Chaz

Seeing as how I said in the 2017 announcement thread how I would make a post sharing my thoughts on an HO spiteful brake van I figured I would do so now while I have the time.

Besides the fact that there was no rolling stock for narrow gauge, the only other complaint I've had with this year's announcements is the fact that we got the spiteful brake van in large scale and not HO.  Personally I think it would be silly for Bachmann to not look into this for next year, and here are a few reasons why:

The first reason is it's an economically smart decision being a recolor, like most rolling stock Bachmann has announced.  Fans have wanted a new brake van and having the same livery as the large scale model plus the face of a classic character would have great sales.  It would not only win over older fans due to nostalgia, but kids would appreciate having another piece of rolling stock with a face on it as sales from previous troublesome trucks have proven. 

Some modelers even like myself would even be more than happy to buy more than one Spiteful Brake van so I can take the faces off the extras and have new brake vans to replace the current brake vans Bachmann released in the Thomas range.  It's for that reason alone I could see it selling better than Toad, or even the new large scale model.

And of course, with the Donald and Douglas models still in production, it would only make sense for this to be out in HO too so fans can properly recreate the twins debut episode.

So while I still stand by my views that HO should skip an engine next year so they can make two narrow gauge engines, I still think the HO range could benefit from having some new rolling stock and an HO spiteful brake van would be one of them.  Personally I think it's already a likely candidate after how some of the vans from large scale made their way into HO this year, making the spiteful brake van all the more likely.  But nonetheless if Bachmann wants a piece of rolling stock that wouldn't take much effort to make and guarantee strong sales then an HO spiteful brake van would be the way to go.

What are your thoughts?  Would you buy this in HO too and would you consider buying more than one?

sean1994rail

I would get the spiteful brakevan in HO.