News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

Considering that it has now been about three days since Alex posted the resin buildings poll (shown on the previous page of this thread), I must state that I am surprised and happy to see that 9 people have already voted (including myself who voted for Neptune Refreshments ;)) I'm even more surprised to see Elsbridge Station and Neptune Refreshments currently in the lead, and to see no votes for buildings such as the castle ruins, but hey. It has only been three days, so plenty of changes could still happen as more people vote.

However, even if Elsbridge Station ends up with the most votes, I do not see think that Bachmann will make it. The biggest problem I see with it is the footbridge. When looking at it, the footbridge rests on two parallel platforms. No problem there. The problem is the extra piece that connects over to the road (on top of the hill). To sum up, an "uneven footbridge" does not seem like something that Bachmann would do. That's just my take on it.

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Elsbridge

What do you guys think?
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

AJW98Productions

I included Elsbridge in that list to cover as many suggestions as I could remember from this topic. I don't realistically see Bachmann making it. Even if the part of the footbridge that connects to the road in the show was made detachable or something, I still wouldn't see it happening...I mean, the two platforms do have two tracks running through the middle of them...looking at how Knapford by Bachmann looks...I don't see it happening. We also then have the reasons TerrencetheTractor55 outlined.

Then we have what I think is the biggest issue for this station: it hasn't been seen since Season 4. Season 4 concluded its original airing in 1996. For context on that, that's a longer amount of time than some of the users of this site have been alive for (myself included). I think it would have to reappear in CGI before having any kind of serious chance. Which is a little bit of a shame. It is one of my favourite stations on Thomas's Branch Line (along with Dryaw, Ffarquhar and Tidmouth/Knapford). I do like its design in the TV Series.

Now given that this station was mentioned in Season 19, and then again on a signpost in Sodor's Legend Of The Lost Treasure, I did have hope it may have some kind of chance of reappearing in Season 22...however those hopes have diminished with the announcement of Big World, Big Adventures. But that's as much as I'm willing to open that particular "can of worms".

Regardless, I don't think Bachmann would choose to create a product based on one poll from their forum that only has 13 votes so far...and isn't too accessible by children (which do make up a large part of their market), the poll is more just for fun. With that said though, Ffarquhar Station (As Per Classic Seasons) is currently in the lead...which is what I expected to be honest. But I know this could change with time. Here are the results so far, for those who are interested: http://www.strawpoll.me/14346400/r

Personally, if we want to talk about Resin Buildings, I think the four most likely ones are: Ffarquhar Station (probably as per its classic design - it did appear in all the old openings, is easily more iconic and recognisable, and is the more cost effective measure), a Narrow Gauge shed (either, but not both of the options), a Signal Junction Gantry (probably the four track modified to accomodate two tracks - kind of like Bachmann's Knapford model), and a Shunting Yard Shed.

That's not to say those are my favourite choices. Just what I think is most likely. I will say though, that I'm surprised none of the castle ruins have gotten any votes so far. I guess since I left it only open to one vote (based on IP) it might not be anyone's favourite option, but still one that people like. Either way, that's just a theory; a Bachmann theory. 8) Yes I did just make that overdone joke, I am sorry.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. The more I think about this, the more I'd like to see another lineup of Resin Buildings from Bachmann next year...but I'll stop here for a while I think. I feel I'm starting to repeat points like a broken record.

Enjoy your day everyone,
~Alex

TrainandRockmusicfan97

I'd actually like to see Bachmann release an HO-Scale model of Stanley sometime in the near future.

Falcon

Quote from: TrainandRockmusicfan97 on November 12, 2017, 08:50:22 PM
I'd actually like to see Bachmann release an HO-Scale model of Stanley sometime in the near future.
I actually thought about mentioning Stanley, but since he hasn't had many speaking roles, I'm not sure if he'd be able to appear in the future...  :-\

Hiro would be a good candidate, though. He might be a little complicated to make, but he's had more speaking roles in the show than Stanley.

SilviaGunner

Quote from: TrainandRockmusicfan97 on November 12, 2017, 08:50:22 PM
It's high time Bachmann did a Stanley Model because next year marks the 10th anniversary of The Great Discovery.

TrainFan97

Stanley has had very minimal speaking roles, and his sales would be very minimal compared to Daisy, but he is a tank engine.

I can't really say anything else about Daisy without rehashing what I've already said before.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon

Quote from: TrainFan97 on November 13, 2017, 04:32:37 PM
Stanley has had very minimal speaking roles, and his sales would be very minimal compared to Daisy, but he is a tank engine.

I can't really say anything else about Daisy without rehashing what I've already said before.
His speaking roles truly seem to make him less possible. Then again, Bill & Ben made it in the range while they were not in the show and they were tank engines too.

Do you have anything to say about Hiro? He might have been covered before, but I feel like he'd be worth mentioning again. Since he's had a couple of episodes that he's starred in, he would seem more likely. Stanley is still yet to get an episode of his own.

Captain Crutch

Rosie also had very little to no speaking roles until JBS. The she had an episode basically dedicated to her repaint. And unless you've been living under a rock, she got a bachmann model herself.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

TerencetheTractor525

I personally agree with TrainFan97 and Falcon. Stanley would be a welcome addition to the Bachmann Thomas range. However, he really hasn't had enough significant roles in order for him to have booming sales. In fact, his sales would probably be about the same as Rosie's (whereas Daisy's would be about the same as Oliver's). Although, if Bachmann were to make Stanley, they could save money by using Thomas' chassis.

Regarding Hiro, my thoughts are posted at the bottom of pg 17 in this thread.

Angelob6660

I wonder if making Hiro would be too realistic to make. Since Connor and Caitlin  needs the same treatment too.

What I mean that they will have missing pieces or very pressed parts.

Hiro would be better choice than Stanley. The stories with Hiro are good a specially well my is No More Mr. Nice engine.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Falcon

I forgot about that post in page 17. Thanks for reminding me, Terence.

Are you worried that Hiro's longer length would require too much detail for his model? Bachmann has made a few inaccuracies with their engines in the past, including three of their first models made. They've also dealt with having more details than usual with some engines like Oliver, but it must've been a little easier with him because of his smaller length. Skarloey has tons of detail too and he's shorter than Oliver.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Falcon on November 14, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
I forgot about that post in page 17. Thanks for reminding me, Terence.

Are you worried that Hiro's longer length would require too much detail for his model? Bachmann has made a few inaccuracies with their engines in the past, including three of their first models made. They've also dealt with having more details than usual with some engines like Oliver, but it must've been a little easier with him because of his smaller length. Skarloey has tons of detail too and he's shorter than Oliver.

You're welcome Falcon.

Yes, that is it for the most part. The main point is that if Bachmann decides to make Hiro, the tooling costs would be so expensive to the point where there would not be enough money to invest in other products with great economic potential such as resin buildings and large scale red coaches. Take his side rods for example. A lot of money of money would have to go into that, and I'm sure that the price of medal has gotten incredibly expensive, which is why Bachmann has been using plastic for Rosie, Skarloey, and Rheneas. In stark contrast, Daisy will not need metal side rods and her overall shape is box. 
She's an incredibly popular character among fans young and old, and deserves much more merchandise.

Now, I really apologize for taking up so much space on this thread due to the countless times I have elaborated on Daisy. I'm going to try to make sure that this is the last time I do it.

Chaz

Quote from: HLC Railroad on November 13, 2017, 09:45:47 PM

Rosie also had very little to no speaking roles until JBS. The she had an episode basically dedicated to her repaint. And unless you've been living under a rock, she got a bachmann model herself.

The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor was a lot more of a James episode.

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on November 14, 2017, 08:01:55 PM

Now, I really apologize for taking up so much space on this thread due to the countless times I have elaborated on Daisy. I'm going to try to make sure that this is the last time I do it.

As long as it's productive discussion and realistic I don't see anything wrong with it.  Might be redundant but admittedly so are a number of other requests on here, so it's not a bad thing since it does give Bachmann an idea of what to make next.  It's a lot better to hear about Daisy rather than paint revisions on the James model. ::)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Chaz on November 14, 2017, 10:46:06 PM

As long as it's productive discussion and realistic I don't see anything wrong with it.  Might be redundant but admittedly so are a number of other requests on here, so it's not a bad thing since it does give Bachmann an idea of what to make next.  It's a lot better to hear about Daisy rather than paint revisions on the James model. ::)

Agreed  :).

TrainCollector

Hey guys it's been a while since I've last joined the conversation so I'm gonna go ahead give my thoughts. This is only for the HO range.

Daisy: As mentioned earlier Daisy is likely to be announced because of her popularity. She's had many starring roles in recent episodes and has had an appeal to kids and adults alike. She may be a bit costly to make but I'm sure she would totally be worth. I wouldn't be surprised if she was announced next. Here's hoping she's the next female character.

Diesel 10: okay I'll admit Diesel 10 is just a personal preference but someone mentioned earlier in the post that Diesel 10 should only be made for kid merchandise and that's it. I think we should hope for a Diesel 10 model. Now before you go saying oh it's not possible and they'll never make him.... Diesel 10 has potentional and CAN be made into an HO model. He is popular despite his lack of appearances and I think his sales would be great despite the cost it would be to make him and despite how expensive he would be. Just hear me out on this one please. Diesel 10 has a chance just not a very good one. I really hope Diesel 10 gets announced, hey you never know maybe he will get announced in the future. Maybe not for 2018 but there still is a chance by 2019 or 2020. Who knows. But if Diesel 10 gets announced for 2018 I will be shocked as will everyone else.

Hiro: Now Hiro is another popular and likable character. He was one of the first new characters introduced in the CGI series. Hiro being a 2-8-2 can navigate 18 inch radius curves but as mentioned before, there is a lot of intricate detail on Hiro that would be applied. So the cost would be a bit more however sales would be good for Hiro. The character has a lot of appeal to the audience and is popular among fans.

Sidney: now many people have talked about it. But Sidney shouldn't be announced for 2018 since we have Paxton coming. Two Class 08 diesels back to back? Yeah I don't think so. But Sidney is definitely gonna be announced in the future, there will be no suprise once he's announced.

Stanley: Now not a very popular character, Stanley has still made several cameos and background appearances in the series. Stanley would be an easy model to make and maybe wouldn't be top of the sales but would still be a good choice for Bachmann.

These are my thoughts for the HO range. I wanna hear what you guys think. Hopefully we all see eye to eye on these.