News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound for 4-4-0 & rail bus

Started by BaxDer, March 27, 2017, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaxDer

Does anyone know if Bachmann intends to add sound boards for the 4-4-0's and rail bus? I would love to add sound to my engines! It would be easier if they offered boards like the current 2-6-0 sound board, that could easily be added. Anyone have experience adding a Tsunami sound decoder to a 4-4-0? Is it difficult?

Thanks!

dutchbuilder

I took a sound decoder from a Porter 0-4-2 and build it into a 4-4-0 classic.
The sound quality from the "speaker" in the porter was in my ears so bad that I had no problems transplanting it.
I used a real speaker from an old laptop in the 4-4-0.

Ton

Steve Magee

Inside frame or outside frame 4-4-0? The smaller inside frame version is a little more complex, but do-able without too much angst.

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Steve Magee on April 03, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Inside frame or outside frame 4-4-0? The smaller inside frame version is a little more complex, but do-able without too much angst.

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

G'day Steve, what a magic is the internet.
From down under to Holland. ;D

I mean the outside frame classic American.
It is not so difficult, everything happens in the tender.
The difficult part is to reverse engineer the connections inside the Porter.
All wires are painted black.
Before cutting them make sure both ends of the wires are labelled.
Saves a lot of hassle.

Ton

regbarron@icloud.com

I have fitted Tsunami 1000s in both 4-4-0s and the rail bus.  The small 4-4-0 needed to have the underside of the coal load sanded a bit to make room for circuit board.  I put the circuit board for the bus inside the passenger compartment.  A smaller TSU 750 would have fit inside the roof but it had over heating problems.  Today I would use a TSU 2 or the Economi in both models.  They are smaller and have more features.

Also someone on the net fit a sound board from one of the Bachmann H O locos into the smaller 4-4-0, several years ago.  It appeared to be a perfect fit.  These boards are now available from the parts store.

Reg Barron

Steve Magee

Re the classic American, yes Bachmann has colour coded wiring - of it's black, it's wire.  ;)

My 4-4-0 has a Tsu750 in it with a HiBass 1.22" speaker. Fits, just keep the wires as short as you possibly can. These days I would use an Econami and a sugar cube, I did my install (above) about 6 or 7 years ago.

If you want to see the 4-4-0 in action as a yard goat on my Lumber Mountain RR, here's a link to a video I made with my youngest son. And yes, I know the slide bars on it are skew-wiff. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqVz8Dx9fVA

And "Hi, Ton", the internet is a wondrous thing, God wot. I lived with my son and his family for a while in Netherlands when he was working for a company there (all since returned back to Oz). We lived in a village called Emness, near Hilversum. Didn't know about Utrecht and the railway museum then, otherwise ... :-(

Cheers

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust.

dutchbuilder