My DCC N Scale Bachmann Centennial Locomotive!!!

Started by mbell9957, March 27, 2017, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbell9957

I bought a DCC ready N scale Bachmann Centennial Locomotive on ebay about a year ago. I am just now building my new layout and I'm testing all of my locomotives, some of them for the first time. The Centennial Locomotive came with no instruction at all. It will only light up but will not move. Can someone please tell me how to set it back to default so that I can program it for my layout ???  

Hunt

Program CV 8 with 8 to reset all CVs to their default value.

If CV 8 = 101 and CV 7 = 46 then Click Here a list of supported CVs are on page 2.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on March 27, 2017, 03:37:30 PM
Program CV 8 with 8 to reset all CVs to their default value.

If CV 8 = 101 and CV 7 = 46 then Click Here a list of supported CVs are on page 2.

WHOA!

Just noticed you have "DCC ready" locomotive that means there is not a decoder installed.  That is why it will not move using DCC. Only runs with DC until you install a DCC decoder.

ACY

You would be surprised at how many people think a "DCC Ready" locomotive should immediately run on DCC, they apparently don't realize a decoder is not yet installed, or think the ready implies ready to run immediately on DCC or something to that effect.

mbell9957

Well I was thinking that it has a decoder because the very first time that I put it on the track the number that is on the board pop up. When I tried to program it for my track the number disappeared and I have not been able to get it back. I pulled the cab off of the locomotive and that is when I saw the numbers on the board which had been showing on my controller.

Hunt

mbell9957,
My first reply was based on there being a decoder installed.

1) Exactly what is printed on the label on the end of the box?
2) What is the procedure and equipment you are using to program a decoder?

mbell9957

I'm using a Prodigy Express and the board inside of the locomotive has only 4 numbers on it (8307) which popped up in my hand held the first time that I put it on the track. After that I have never seen the numbers again. It seams as if I was lie to when I bought the locomotive. As I said I am just now getting around to testing all of my locomotives because I am now building my layout. I also have a Big Boy and a Challenger a lot of other locomotives which were all very easy to program but this one is not working for me.

spookshow

Guys, Bachmann doesn't make a "DCC Ready" DD40AX. Since the 2009 re-release they've all been decoder-equipped (either sound or non-sound).

The decoder and PC board are separate entities, so I don't know why numbers printed on the PC board would be "popping up" on your display.

Did you try resetting the decoder as previously suggested? This is accomplished by writing a value of 8 to CV8.

-Mark

Hunt

Quote from: spookshow on March 28, 2017, 07:15:44 AM
Guys, Bachmann doesn't make a "DCC Ready" DD40AX. Since the 2009 re-release they've all been decoder-equipped (either sound or non-sound).

The decoder and PC board are separate entities,. . .

-Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the conformation and why my first reply is worded as it is.

However, connecting   DCC ready -- on ebay -- will only light up but will not move -- got me to thinking  that perhaps the decoder had been removed.

Not going to make any progress until  mbell9957 tries to reset decoder and if that does not work then answer all the questions I asked him, which he has failed to do. So I will no longer be following this thread.

spookshow

I don't think the lights would light up without a decoder (not unless somebody went in and seriously messed with the PC board, but since it came from eBay I suppose anything is possible).

-Mark

mbell9957

Ok I did as you have told me to do but it did not work so may be it doesn't have a decoder. I guess I got ripped off on ebay which hasn't happen very often. The board in my locomotive looks different from the board in the pic so can I get the board that should be in it from Bachmann and if so what item number should I ask for. I love my locomotive and do want to use it on my layout if possible. I do have other Bachmann locomotives that I do have to buy decoder for so hopefully most of them will use the same one but from the way that that board looks in the pic it will be very different from all of the rest.

spookshow

Is the PC board attached to the chassis or is it up inside the shell? If the latter, then it's one of the early versions from the 80's or 90's that were not DCC-Ready. EG -

-Mark

mbell9957

It's inside of the shell so can I buy a dcc board to work on this locomotive or should I just buy a new one?

kmcsjr

Humble opinion. Buy a new one. The new Bacmann units are amazing. They have improved just like technology has improved. I'm not saying the difference is as much as th phone in Ferris Beuller's day off, to an iphone7... But. If you are putting all the money into DCC and trains in general, the cost will be worth it.

mbell9957

Thanks, I thought so. I will be buying a new one very soon and maybe I can resale the old one on ebay to someone who is still using dc. I am building a large dcc layout for n scale (12X4X4) and I do want everything to work as it should. Most of my track is already laid so that is how I am finally able to test all of my locomotives. Thanks again.