Is there a way to tell, (buying on the net) if a Xmas0-6-0 is split frame

Started by kmcsjr, March 30, 2017, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmcsjr

I know the Yuletide Special, with the very old power pack is not. But, if the set had the latest square controller , with a wall wart, would that indicate a split frame vintage? I know it's a hard question.
Thanks

brokemoto

Are you buying it on FeePay?  ....from an e-Tailer?....from B-mann?

Depending on who is selling it, he might or might not know. 

You really can not tell unless you look at it.  If the  motor is not sticking out the back of the cab, it is the newest version and decidedly split frame.  Do be aware, though, that the last ones issued with the motor's sticking out the back of the cab were split frame, so if the motor is sticking out the back of the cab, you can not always be sure.  If it is one that has the motor's sticking out the back of the cab, if you flip it over and look carefully, you will see frame halves.  If you look at it from the cab end, you will see a split metal contact post for the drawbar.  If you see that, it is a split frame.  If you do not see it, it ain't.

kmcsjr

Thanks
Fee Pay. If I don't get one this way, I'm just going to have one painted, or wait for the new version. Per the Bach Man, the Christmas set hasn't been released, with the latest hidden motor, yet. So it's a guess, or luck? Darn, I was hoping the current transformer was circa 2004 or later.
Thanks

RGW

On feebay I look for a bottom shot to see the gears, if it has black gears on all wheels drivers it is a split frame engine, (at least this has been my experience ) if it has white gears I pass

kmcsjr

Follow up. The set 0-6-0, of a vintage grey gears, front traction tires, rapids couplers(80s or 90s) runs and pulls, like a new release. Plenty of cars, for actually running trains. I got them both to 13, before anything started struggling. I'm a happy man