News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old N 2-8-2 with Vanderbilt Tender

Started by Bob G, April 05, 2017, 01:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Bachmann does not have parts for this engine; purchased around 1970. Think I may need new gears as motor seems to work when not engaged to the one gear that contacts the worm gear off the motor. If I need new gears where can I find them now, if at all? If I get it running good as I want could it be DCC through the tender or a freight car to the tender to the engine?

gatrhumpy

You might need to get new gears from NWSL.

I would just throw it out though.

brokemoto

B-mann sold this in some versions as a 2-8-2 and some as a 2-8-0.  It is really based on a Reading Company I-9 or I-10 (I forget which), which was a 2-8-0.

A while back, I did a test fit to the chassis of what was then a SPECTRUM 2-8-0.  It looked like it would go, but would require more than a little work.  If you want to keep the shell, you could do that.  You would have to give up the Vanderbilt tender, though, as the newer 2-8-0 does require the all wheels live tender.

While the gear ratios were pretty good, the constitution of the gears was not the best.  They tended to crack.  The motor was not the best, either.

I would buy the B-mann 2-8-0 and run it as it is.  If a 2-8-2 you must have, I would buy a Kato USRA heavy or Model Power USRA light.  Several of the MP USRA light 2-8-2s do come with Vanderbilts.  The Vanderbilt that you get on the MP is based on an SP Vanderbilt that it ran on eight wheelers, moguls, some consolidateds and some ten wheelers.  In truth, though, the MPs are best when you swap out the stock tender for the B-mann SPECTRUM tender.   If you do not want to do too much work, buy a later run of the Kato 2-8-2, as it has the traction tyre driver and all of the details installed, already.

kmcsjr

I'd put it on an unpowered siding and use it as scenery. If you are going DVC, get a newer model. Bachmann steam is WAY better now, and UHC ofit is DCC equipped to start.

ACY

The cost of the parts from NWSL exceed the value of the engine. Use it as scenery in a roundhouse or something. Buy a new Bachmann steam engine and you will have a much better engine.
That is my advice, but ultimately do what you want.

kmcsjr

There is a great sale, on a very good Bachmann loco (new, not eBay). With Vandy Tender. Might be worth a look. Message me, if google can't take you there.