Spectrum 44 ton switcher heighth

Started by rfandprr, April 13, 2017, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfandprr

My Spectrum HO 44 ton switcher hangs up on every turnout and rerailer on my layout. I am using code 100 track throughout.  The wheels seem to be a smaller diameter than all my other locos and rolling stock thus putting the shell closer to the track.  The Bachmann clone kadee type couplers will not cross any turnout.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Other than raising the shell, how do I fix this problem?  Even at that, the bottom of the trucks still drag across the rerailers!

jonathan

I have never had this problem with my 44-tonner.  However, my 0-6-0s would all bottom-out on rerailers, turnouts, and crossings.  I took a flat needle file and took off a hair of material off the bottom of the frame... we're talking microns here.  That solved the problem. Perhaps you would consider a similar solution for your 44-tonner.

As far has your couplers go...  I find I have to adjust the trip pins (that curved piece under the coupler) on every locomotive and rolling stock piece, to ensure smooth running.  It seems every manufacturer, including Kadee, sets their trip pins so that a minor adjustment is required.

It's almost as if all the companies have shares in the company that makes that trip-pin-tool.  I skirt around that by using two needle nose pliers to give the trip pins a tweak.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if I were...  :D

Regards,

Jonathan

rfandprr

It's not just the trip pins that are catching, it's the whole bottom half of the coupler!  I haven't measured the wheels on the 44 tonner, but I believe that they are only 30" (scale) whereas everything else is 36".