News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 tonner

Started by indian_hills_r_r, April 12, 2017, 07:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indian_hills_r_r

I was looking a 45 tonners. in the picture I noticed what looked like a outside gear or bar or counter balance. my question is does this move? haven't found a store here with a 45 in it,  so I am only able to look at pictures. any help? thanks

Warflight

indian_hills_r_r

thanks , warflight. that helps a lot. going to get one of these instead of the 44 tonner. thanks again

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on April 13, 2017, 07:04:41 PM
thanks , warflight. that helps a lot. going to get one of these instead of the 44 tonner. thanks again

Keep in mind that the 45 ton switchers are slow,
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

indian_hills_r_r

baltoohiorrfan, will probably be ok since it will only run in the mine operation. 

CNE Runner

We run two GE 45-tonners on the Monks Island Railway (#4 & #5). I chose this particular locomotive because of its short length (slightly shorter than the 44-ton models). My Bachmann 45-ton locos run virtually everyday and have never given me a moment of trouble. If you have a short, switching layout the 45-ton locomotive is just the thing...plus the moving connecting rods add a measure of interest to the loco's motion.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Mike Kieran

Ray, do you have any pictures of #5?
To enquiring friends: I have troubles today that I had not yesterday. I had troubles yesterday which I have not today. On this site will be built a bigger, better, Steeplechase Park. Admission to the burning ruins - 10cents. -  George C. Tilyou, owner of Steeplechase Park in Coney Island.

jrl2442

there is a good article in the 2013 On30 Annual about using the HO 45 ton engine as a platform for an On30 critter.   just took delivery of one and am amazed at how small it is.   straight out of the box, it creeps more slowly than anything else i own.  a bit of noise from the axle gears.   outside rods are kind of fun to watch.   hope to figure out how to install sound since the On30 cab will have plenty of room.   on the whole, a pretty neat little engine.