News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

traction wheels

Started by jlc41, April 17, 2017, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlc41

Does Bachmann sell traction wheels for a 2-6-0 and a 0-6-0???

Warflight

Quote from: jlc41 on April 17, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
Does Bachmann sell traction wheels for a 2-6-0 and a 0-6-0???

I'm not sure if they do, but, I had GREAT luck with Bullfrog Snot on my Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0! I mean, it had ZERO traction, and no groove for a traction tire, but the snot did the trick, without any interruption to my connections. I did all four drive wheels with it (because there are amazing electrical pickups on the tender of that engine) but I think, in the future, I'll probably do only two, if I need to do it again (just to give the engine a bit more in the pickups department, even if the train shop said there were no pickups in the drivers... folks here have educated me otherwise)

Legionfrog

I'm learning about the traction issues, do you know about fixing the traction issues on tender powered steamers, I've a few that are noisy and no traction. I'm thinking replace wheels or something like that? Thx

Len

Most tender powered locos use one, or more, traction tires on the wheels. If they come loose, or come off, it can cause problems, so they have to be replaced. With a few odd ball exceptions, the diesel size traction tires usually work. It would help to know which specific locos you're talking about.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kewatin

len he did mention 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 but no gauge ho or n. i checked and there is no stock for these and has been that way for mths. as i needed some for my 10 yr old connies. a wonderful fellow on this forum sent me a xmas present,no charge from fla to do all 4 of mine..instead of using $30 bullfrog snot you could use PLASTI-DIP $6.95 at home depot for $6.96
it comes in a small bottle,and you can get it in various colors.you apply it the same way as bullfrog snot.it was developed for coating small tools to stop hand slippage. does it work? you bet it does ,presently using it on BLT E8 & KATO 2-8-2
also a good rule of thumb is not to push these locos ,when putting them on the track,as that is a sure way to have to re tire them . hope this info helps .
regards&later KEWATIN

Len

Not sure what's going on with Calumet, but it looks like their #505 diesel traction tires will be back in stock most places at the beginning of May.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.