News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Ballast Spreader

Started by Warflight, April 18, 2017, 08:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe323 on April 24, 2017, 07:06:34 PM

...snaping together EZ track is easi and faster than using flex or sectional track and roadbed though your are paying a price for the convenience ballasting is not required but IMHO makes the track look better.

It was more a rhetorical question Joe.  I understand, thanks, that EZ Track, as its name belies, is easier bc it snaps together; I've said here before, that I have some for when I set up my Christmas Tree.  And IMHO as well, I believe non roadbed track placed on cork roadbed looks infinitely better.  But my question still stands, underscored further by your so aptly pointing out the added cost of EZ Track.

And here is an additional (practical) question; If you ballast EZ Track and DO NOT solder the joiners and then ballast, does not the glue get into the joiners and create continuity problems?   And if you solder the joiners, what was the point in buying the EZ Track in the first place?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

I do not recall having Continuity problems with ballasted EZ track. Not that it couldn't happpen but not if you are careful with the glue.  As with all ballast including the current SIW the bigger problem has been an errant piece of ballast getting stuck on the rails causing a derailment.  I think it solved that with multiple passes of my fingers alongthe rails and then the vacuum cleaner.

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe323 on April 28, 2017, 07:35:15 AM
I do not recall having Continuity problems with ballasted EZ track.

Is this bc you soldered the joiners beforehand, or no, you did not?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

The old layout was not soldered, as that would defeat the purpose of using ez track.  Besides as I gain more experience I learn these things.  The new layout is sodered and has multiple feeders.

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe323 on April 28, 2017, 01:36:34 PM
The old layout was not soldered, as that would defeat the purpose of using ez track.

Gee whiz Joe, you don't say.... ::)

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 25, 2017, 06:28:35 AM
And if you solder the joiners, what was the point in buying the EZ Track in the first place?

...not sure why you bothered to ballast the EZ Track in the first place, but I thank you for answering my questions. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Like I said before I learned best practices along the way.  Had I known that the old layout was coming down Prematurely I would not have ballested.