News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curved crossover

Started by Bill Baker, April 18, 2017, 04:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

I'm trying to make a curved crossover consisting of one 22 in. radius curved atlas snap track through which a section Atlas straight track crosses about 15 degrees.  I have already ruined two curved pieces, one straight piece and one 15 degree crossover in trying to manufacture this nightmare. 

I.m about to give up, so my question is this.  Is anyone aware of any manufacturer that makes any kind of curved crossover?

Thanks for any kind of help,

Bill
Bill

dutchbuilder

jonathan

Bill,

Have you considered buying a double-slip switch?  That may be as close as you can come to a premade contraption that fits the bill.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  On second thought, that wouldn't work.  I did find a 19 degree crossing by Atlas.  You may find it easier to modify the crossing... you know... shortening two legs of the crossing and adding the curved pieces on either end.  Just a thought.

West Bound

Atlas also makes a 12 1/2 degree crossover.

Len

Another option is to hand lay your crossing.  Extremely complex trackwork is fairly straight forward using PC board ties, such as those available from: www.handlaidtrack.com

This is an example from the Bronx Terminal http://www.bronx-terminal.com layout:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bill Baker

Len,

Thanks a million for your post.  That is exactly what I'm looking for.

As Jackie Gleason used to say, "and away we go."

Bill
Bill

WoundedBear

Nice to see that you guys found Tim's site. He's another top notch Canadian modeller and supporter of this hobby. I have always heard good things about him and his company.

Sid

ACY

A curved crossover does exist in HO scale, but the only one ever made was created for a trolley/streetcar layout. The radius is definitely not 22" radius, it was likely tighter than 15". Oh and did I mention it was built into a street. So not really of any use to you it seems.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

It appears there would have to be lots of "cuts" and "jumps" to properly isolate and power all the rails, diamonds and frogs of the "Bronx Terminal".

Good thing I'm not on the project.

I would probably just give up and run Battery-RC.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Bill Baker

Joe,

Yeah, I was aware of that.  That was my problem in trying to use the Atlas pre-made track pieces.  Too many dremel cuts which caused a complete collapse of the pieces.  With the template suggested by Len, I hope to have the appropriate cuts and angles filed before I place the rails on the ties..... at least that's my plan.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Bill
Bill