News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 Driver Size

Started by Old John, April 27, 2017, 02:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old John

Does anyone know the diameter of the drivers (not the prototype) in either in mm or inches on the model?

James in FL

Measuring with calipers I get .318 in. against the flange.

Old John

James,

Thank You.  i'm building a Winans Camel using the Bachmann 4-4-0, but in scale the drivers are too large and the 0-6-0 looks like they will be closer in scale size.

John

James in FL

Check my math.
50 - 51in ?

Old John

James,

Your math is correct, the Winans Camel had 43 inch drivers, and the 0-6-0 is as close as I can come.  Thank you again.

John

brokemoto

I recall measuring the drivers on the MDC 2-8-0 many years back.  They scaled out to forty-eight inches.  I can not find my calipers, right now, so I can not be sure, any more.  Athearn now sells the same locomotive.  If I can find my calipers after I get back from the Nationals game, I will measure them, again.  The 2-8-0 in question does have both middle pairs of drivers blinded.

Those things had various wheel arrangements, including an 0-8-0.  I do not know if the dimensions of the MDC/Athearn locomotive might match some of the Winans.  I would expect not, as the MDC/Athearns are 1880s power.

Still, if my measurement was correct, the MDC/Athearn drivers are two to three scale inches closer to the Winans drivers.

Old John

brokemoto,

That would be great if your estimate is correct, thank you for your thought.