Is there a new Class J 4-8-4 with dcc and sound forthcoming?

Started by RGPerkins, April 30, 2017, 07:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGPerkins

I was pleased to see a new Class J 4-8-4 in HO with dcc and sound is advertised in June 2017 MR page 7.
Is an n-scale version planned and when could be expect it to be available.
Thank you.

ACY

If there is one planned they can't tell you about it until a more appropriate time when they make all of their official announcements. If would take them 18 to 24 months if they just now decided to make one, but if it is in development there is no way to know how far along it is in the process.

kmcsjr

Right after my replacement motor arrives and I pi sound in mine 😝

James in FL

Last time these were run was in '06, eleven years ago.
They are still readily available from many shops.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-Class-J-4-8-4-NW-p/bac-82153.htm
And you can get 10% off that using the 10BACHMANN code during checkout.

Bachmann flooded the market, so I really don't see a big demand yet for another run as long as they are still on the shelf.
Most who want sound have added it by now.

I think Bachmann might make more money off a second run of the heavy Mountain, which demands top dollar on the secondary market.
Or another body (heavy) on the existing Pacific mechanism.
The wheelbase and the driver size are close enough.

...but who knows what Bachmann will do...

propmeup1

I have two of the old and two of the new. The new ones are awesome. Just drop in a Soundtraxx 2 TSU-1100.  The engine comes to life.

Keith

RGPerkins

I like the design of this locomotive and have looked at photos of the dc model may times online.   I run dcc so if I were to opt for one now currently available, I would hire the installation of the dcc with sound.
I would also consider painting it and lettering it for Baltimore and Ohio.
I do not mind having "fantasy steam" on my home railroad.

PS: I recall that some manufacturers do announce that an n-scale version of an item is forthcoming when they announce the HO version. I though I might have missed that ad.

kewatin

i have to agree with james, regarding the heavy mtn rerun with sound. many of us have been asking for this for yrs.would like to see a mikado announcement come the NMRA convention ,as BACHMANN usually releases in n scale what has been previously done in ho scale. good to see you post here again roger,trust your move east went well&your are on your way to assembling your permanent layout..
regards&later KEWATIN

Mike C

A couple months ago a retailer had the J on sale fro 99.99 with aux tender . It did cost me another 200.00 to get a Tsunami 2 decoder installed though . Sounds great !  I found a Heavy Mtn. on that auction site also earlier this year for 150.00 and jumped on it ! They are really good runners .

RGPerkins

I reposted this question.  Yardmaster never replied here.

RGPerkins

How about in the future?  Is a dual mode without sound planned?

gatrhumpy

If it will be done, you're talking a minimum of two years.

RGPerkins

I am seeing ads for J class locomotive in various scales and from various manufacturers.
For modelers in n-scale this is frustrating to be a "second thought" for manufacturers.