Battery powered Bachmann 2-8-0 ****now 0-6-0

Started by RGW, April 30, 2017, 09:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I am switching  scales and would like to take a Bachmann 2-8-0 NonDCC  and convert it to remote control ( I have rc cars so I have a  receiver and controls ) My thought is get a small speed controller and wire it to the motor.
and put a lipo battery in the tender. has anybody tried this?  My concern is the amp draw of the motor and the a small speed controller. Its bad when the magic smoke comes out.

dutchbuilder

I think it will be much less than when you are running a drone or a rc race car.
they use high rev motors that draw a lot of amps.
What's in your locomotive is a low rev motor.

Ton

Bucksco

You might consider a Bluetooth board from BlueRail Trains. Their board is set up to run battery powered and you can use a smart device to run the train.
http://bluerailtrains.com/board-sign-up/

James in FL

RGW

Yes. I has too much stuff going on right now and decided  to build a small  ho switching layout.
I love n scale ,but want sone thing that can sit for a month and run with out cleaning tracks

My n layout had got to big and was not designed for switching.

ryeguyisme

I'm going to miss seeing your awesome kitbashes in N, sad to see them being sold online but I've been there myself. BUT I am most looking forward to seeing some of that creativity put to use in HO scale. I model HO and N steam, and many on here may remember me for my various projects as well. I actually have a mikado chassis of yours you sold me. Still haven't worked on it but was planning to do what you did with an H-4 shell  for the boiler ;D

If you're interested and want some ideas, feel free to visit my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/RyeGuyLocomotiveWorks

Now back on topic:

I was thinking of doing what you're doing with a docksider 0-4-0. There's a guy at our club who put RC/Battery power into an Alco 2-6-0 and it runs like any other engine without need for power in the rails. I have to ask him how he did it. I may have to go digging through my emails or ask him myself.

RGW

I just picked up a  newer Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 with full valve gear off feebay  It runs very good. When I clear out my N scale I plan up adding better details / crew  to this thing and of course weathering. I will be experimenting with a small RC car  esc to see how the it will work. I my run a lipo battery or set the track voltage at 10v and use track power. If i use track power I will add tender pick ups

I wish bacmann sold the tender from the Alco 2-6-0 separate that is the tender I want behind this engine.

RGW

Quote from: ryeguyisme on May 03, 2017, 07:08:45 PM
I'm going to miss seeing your awesome kitbashes in N, sad to see them being sold online but I've been there myself. BUT I am most looking forward to seeing some of that creativity put to use in HO scale. I model HO and N steam, and many on here may remember me for my various projects as well. I actually have a mikado chassis of yours you sold me. Still haven't worked on it but was planning to do what you did with an H-4 shell  for the boiler ;D

If you're interested and want some ideas, feel free to visit my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/RyeGuyLocomotiveWorks

Now back on topic:

I was thinking of doing what you're doing with a docksider 0-4-0. There's a guy at our club who put RC/Battery power into an Alco 2-6-0 and it runs like any other engine without need for power in the rails. I have to ask him how he did it. I may have to go digging through my emails or ask him myself.

Thank you. I do have plan for HO steam. But it will be smaller steam.