News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts for Old HO Scale GP 40 (Kader 8302)

Started by TexasRailroader, May 03, 2017, 09:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasRailroader

And now for the rest of the story...

I got the old GP-40 (Kader 8302) running great by cleaning the motor thoroughly and lubricating the motor, gears and cleaning the wheels. However, I was never able to find those replacement, large axel, non-geared wheels for the non-motorized truck. I bought another Bachman 866 on eBay, to use for parts, in the hope I could get those large axel wheels that way. There seems to be several generations of the Bachmann 866, and the one I bought on eBay had a smaller diameter axel on the non-motorized truck.

What I decided to do was focus on the 866 I got on eBay and use the older 866 (Kader 8302) for parts, which I didn't really need to do, the older 866 still runs great on DC, except for the wobbly rear truck, and got the newer 866 running even better than the older.

I converted the 866 GP-40 to DCC and installed LEDs including ditch lights. Installed a TCS WOW101-KA and repaired some areas of the shell and have the 866 looking and running beautifully.

I hope to go back to the older 866 (Kader 8302) and give it some more TLC if I can ever find those large axel, non-geared rear wheels.
In the mean time, I bought a new Bachmann 906, GP-40 with DCC and sound and love it also.

I plan on posting a pic of the refurbished 866 converted to DCC on this thread soon.

TexasRailroader

How do I post a picture to this thread?
What type of file?
jpg, pgn ?

jonathan

TR,

you need a photo-sharing account, using Photobucket, Flikr, Fotki, or the like.

In a nutshell, you upload your photos to the sharing account, then copy/paste the photos onto the post you are creating. A number of free photo-sharing websites to choose from. I have used photobucket for years.  I'm sure there are better ones. 

I enjoyed Fotki for a while. They charge a fee, after a free break-in period. I found flikr even more cumbersome than photobucket.  Just my experience.  Some folks have used their facebook account to post photos.  I don't do facebook.

Regards,

Jonathan