News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plastic cement

Started by RAM, May 20, 2017, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Some time back some one posted what they used for cement plastic parts together.  I thought it was MSDS, doing a search of MSDS had it for track and wheel cleaning.  What was it that they used for a cheap plastic cement?

WoundedBear

Testors Model Master 8872C is my choice.

Sid

dutchbuilder

MEC (methylethyetone)
Or thinner
They act more as a welding medium than a glue.
Do this in a well ventilated room or outside.

Ton

RAM

The welding is what I am looking for.  Most plastic glue that I have used is for the birds.

rogertra

Liquid Cement  Testors et al.

Last thing you want to use is glue in a tube.

Roger T.

dutchbuilder

I use all kinds off glue
It all depends on what and how i want to  stick something together.
For big parts i mostly use liquid cement.
If i want to glue a curve i use superglue to tack it together and then liquid cement to finish it off.
For small parts onto big parts, SG.
Sometimes SG. gel when i have to shift it around for a bit.
I even use contact glue or 3M double sided transfer tape if necessary.

Ton

Len

I generally use Faller 'Expert' and 'Super-Expert' liquid plastic cements. The application needles are a bit finer than other brands, giving a bit more control over where it ends up. The main difference between the two is working time.

'Expert' gives you time to move things around if you need to. 'Super-Expert' is more for situations where you clamp things together, like the corner of a building. Apply the cement along the inside seam, capillary action pulls it into the joint, and it sets up fast. So if you only have one clamping jig, it doesn't take weeks to get your walls put together.

And don't forget 'Canopy Cement' if you don't want to worry about fogging up building and car windows.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.