News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Product suggestion for the bach man

Started by sedfred, May 20, 2017, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

I got my 2-6-6-2 fixed up and it now looks just like new, thank goodness! Now for the main part

I hope the bach man sees this but, do you think you could you someday make an ho model of a Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis "Dixie" 4-8-4? i think it would be popular since it's a nice engine and a real one (576) is being restored to operating condition. I think it would be a hit

ACY

I think Overland made one, if you really want one.

sedfred

I'm 16 with only a part time job, i can't afford overland! That's why i'm suggesting it to bachmann lol

ACY

Quote from: sedfred on May 21, 2017, 11:57:41 AM
I'm 16 with only a part time job, i can't afford overland! That's why i'm suggesting it to bachmann lol
Well then it looks like you are in the market for full time employment until then. I actually started working full time when I was 13, mind you I don't think it was legal.
If it is any consolation starting wages for coal miners is $70,000 a year which should allow you to buy an overland model or two.

rogertra

Product suggestions?

Bring back the Spectrum Range!

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Product suggestion:

Redesign the #6 crossovers with built in jumpers to allow for use in DC, as well as DCC, layouts.

A lot of sales are being missed because of the current designs "DCC Layout Only" configuration.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: sedfred on May 21, 2017, 11:57:41 AM

Hey I'm gonna be the first to tell you work hard and don't give up on your dreams. I too was once 16 and looked behind the glass cases at brass models of engines I never thought I'd own and 10 years later I own my own glass case filled with dozens of them. And not just that some engines I built myself, kitbashing and scratchbuilding using techniques of many people on the web and in magazines have inspired me to use.

Sometimes there are engines that aren't made in HO or at all and it becomes necessary to build your own.

I built a D&RGW F-81 using maybe $200 in parts and a little bit of scratchbuilding and I am so happy with it, plus it saved me a whopping $800 so building your own has it's perks.

Maybe do some google searches on kitbashing steam, I spend hours doing research, it's fun what you find, there's so much out there. I even made my own Facebook page to showcase some of my stuff.

Hope this helps!

Trainman203

Yeah Sedfred, I was your age back in 1964.  No one modeled diesel railroading much at all, the diesel models were all plastic, cheap, and poor running. Serious adult modelers, the average age being 32 back then, all did steam railroading.

If you were a kid like me, your steam options were a dozen or so poorly detailed "die cast" "zamac" zinc alloy pot metal kits that could be made to be run better, maybe 15 scale mph, with a lot of work and foul language.  Detailing them was iffy since you couldn't drill the metal or cut / file it very easily.  These things are all still around at train shows today, it's hard to even give them away.  But they did a fine job fueling our teenage steam dreams.

If you were an adult with money there were BRASS engines.  The most beautiful things you ever saw under glass in the hobby shop.  Most of them cost $49.95, an astronomical sum back then for anyone, much less a kid.  My LHS was a couple of hundred miles away in Houston Texas so I only saw them a couple of times a year.  FINALLY, Jupiter aligned with Mars. After an eternity I had saved $30, and at the same time an Akane Wabash mogul went sale priced at $30.

My dreams came true .... until I put it on the track. Like all brass models it had a terrible motor.  Can motors, like the moon missions, were still a long way in the future.  Fortunately redemption came in the form of a virtual drop-in Pittman DC-70, maybe it was a DC-71, 5 pole motor.  After receiving that, it would crawl like  an ant.  I gave it a terrible paint job with an art hand brush since I couldn't afford an air brush.  It proudly hauled the locals on the first Midland Western for several years until it was destroyed in a household accident.

I have a bunch of fine running steam engines today, mostly Bachmann.  But I still think about how much fun me and my buds had with those zamac paperweights pulling our Tyco car freight trains on our brass rail snap track layouts.