DCC Equipped Bachmann Climax on DC track - Not Impressed

Started by bibbster, May 24, 2017, 03:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibbster

So in trying to fill out our fleet for modeling Cass Scenic Railroad, I picked up the last of our logging locos, a Bachmann Climax (3 truck). I had read, and been told, that we could run a DCC equipped loco on our DC layout, but that we would not be able to make use of all of the many functions. Made sense and I was okay with that so I proceeded with the purchase. That was all well and good until this loco arrived and was promptly put on our test track.

The sound is, well, annoying. The constant chuffing might be okay if it didn't sound like it was recorded in a tin can. Perhaps it's the speaker? Either way, I do not want to hear that the entire time the train is running. I can handle the 'bell' and the 'whistle' sounds that occasionally occur, but the chuffing has to go.

According to my sources, the only way to adjust the sound is to put it on a DCC layout, but there is nothing that I have read that says that the changes will stay set when moved to a DC layout. Is this possible?

I guess I could just disconnect the speaker/chip/board, but then I have something that is useless to me, a fancy DCC loco. Maybe a trade with someone for a non DCC loco is possible. Of course the only catch there is that it would have to be the Cass Scenic RR road name.

Anywho, if there is a way to adjust this DCC model on our DC track I'd appreciate any insight/help that you all could provide. I don't want to relegate it to display duty at C.S.R.R..

ACY

Quote from: bibbster on May 24, 2017, 03:55:43 PM
According to my sources, the only way to adjust the sound is to put it on a DCC layout, but there is nothing that I have read that says that the changes will stay set when moved to a DC layout. Is this possible?
You need an advanced DCC system capable of programming Configuration Variables (CVs), you can set the volume levels for every specific sound effect, as well as disable sounds, you can also make the bell and whistle not go off automatically.

Quote from: bibbster on May 24, 2017, 03:55:43 PMAnywho, if there is a way to adjust this DCC model on our DC track I'd appreciate any insight/help that you all could provide. I don't want to relegate it to display duty at C.S.R.R..
There is no way to program it on an analog DC layout, you need a DCC programming track or layout.

bibbster

That's what I was afraid of. Since we're not doing DCC my only hope is to find someone locally that has a DCC layout and is willing to take the time to help. Where are you engineer Obi Wan?  :'(

mattyg1306

You've probably discovered this by now, but they made two versions of the HO Climax:  one with sound, and one without.  

I preferred no sound (as well the $150 difference in price) and chose to get the one with no sound at all.

This would require you to buy again (perhaps you already have at this point), but would be the remedy to your situation.  Unfortunately the CSRR road name was only available early in the locomotive's release period...they made additional batches of the other road names, making Cass the rare one.  As it turns out, the paint scheme on the locomotive was a farce anyway--when/if the locomotive is completed, it will be painted similar to the Moore-Keppel paint scheme that it originally had, and will retain the number 6, rather than the originally announced #9 (in honor of the Cass lumbering operation's only Climax).  The gold striped paint scheme that Cass uses on its Shays is historically similar to the paint scheme that Lima Locomotive Works used as its standard lettering style.  For many years, the Cass Heisler engine used the "Shay" paint scheme, but this was corrected in 2005 when it received a Heisler accurate silver paint scheme (it appears white in most photographs).

Here is the old Walthers listing for the sound free version (the last five digits of the Walthers Part # are the same as Bachmann's #):

https://www.walthers.com/3-truck-70-ton-climax-dcc-equipped-spectrum-r-cass-scenic-railroad-9