News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Faster in reverse?

Started by dragonbusa, June 03, 2017, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonbusa

Why would my locomotive's have more power in reverse? Now I'm very new to this hobby so my knowledge is very limited. I been into slot cars for years so I know the little motors work, I'm thinking maybe the brushes are worn in one direction and when you go in reverse they make better contact?

RAM

No I think it has more to do with the gears then the motor.  What locomotive is it?

dragonbusa

I think its an f9 came in an old galaxy set.

dragonbusa

Quote from: RAM on June 03, 2017, 08:18:28 PM
No I think it has more to do with the gears then the motor.  What locomotive is it?
Reverse is accomplished by polarity not by any gear change. there is no transmission to make a gear change its all direct drive is it not? 

jonathan

It has always been a weird quirk in model railroading that locos seem to run better in reverse. This has been discussed ad nauseam in years past. Dunno why this is so, but it always seems to be true.

Regards

Jonathan

RAM

I know the locomotive does not have a transmission, but it has gears.  You can have more friction one direction than you do in the other.  If you have more friction it is going to cause it to run slower.

dragonbusa

Gets me to thinking .... pull the motor out and in stall it backwards then see what happens LOL!