News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC on 2-8-0

Started by AGRTERP4LIFE, December 03, 2007, 01:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AGRTERP4LIFE

I am relatively new at this.  So far, I have a Spectrum 2-8-0 set that is (DCC ready?)  I wanted to add sounds and the ability to use more than one engine at a time.  What do I need to purchase to do this?  I have read a few threads that mentioned a decoder.  I am assuming I would also need a new controller.  What do you, the true experts, think?

Jim Banner

You will need decoders in your locomotives.  Installation in the 2-8-0 is simple - open the tender, remove dummy plug, plug in decoder.  For sound you will need a sound decoder as well, or a combination motor + sound decoder.  You will also need a DCC (Digital Command Control) system to power your tracks and send the operating messages to the locomotives.  There are many brands available with many different features.  Some have built in CABs (speed and direction controls), some use external CABs.  Command control is more complex than the simple dc (direct current) control that came with your train set so you should probably spend some time reading up on the various systems to find the features/price combination that is best for you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

AGRTERP4LIFE

Thanks for the advice.  I assume that the sound decoder would have a speaker.  Is this also something I should be able to install myself?

Once the decoder is installed, will the locomotive still run on DC until I purchase a DCC controller?  Or, do you recommend that I do all of this at once.

Lastly, I have a handful of older locomotives that are currently DC.  Is it possible to update them?  Two of them are similar to the B23-7/B30-7 and one of them is similar to the EMD FT A-Unit.  They require much more power than my Spectrum set (I noticed that the power has to be much higher to get them up to speed.

Thanks

Jim Banner

Quote from: AGRTERP4LIFE on December 03, 2007, 05:03:48 PM
I assume that the sound decoder would have a speaker.  Is this also something I should be able to install myself?
Depending on manufacture, the sound decoder may come with a speaker or you may have to purchase one separately.  If you can install a decoder, you should be able to install a sound decoder. 

Once the decoder is installed, will the locomotive still run on DC until I purchase a DCC controller?  Or, do you recommend that I do all of this at once.
Normally, yes.  But you may have to run on DCC to access all the sound functions.

Lastly, I have a handful of older locomotives that are currently DC.  Is it possible to update them?  Two of them are similar to the B23-7/B30-7 and one of them is similar to the EMD FT A-Unit.  They require much more power than my Spectrum set (I noticed that the power has to be much higher to get them up to speed.
All HO locomotives can be converted to DCC, but some are harder than others.  A few are quite hard.  I suspect that the higher throttle settings needed to run your older locomotives are a result of stickier mechanisms that may need cleaning and/or lubrication.  Some locomotives may not be worth converting to DCC.  These would include older train set diesels which did not have all wheel power pickup and all wheel drive.     
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.