Bachmann E7A Mars Light Info needed

Started by pds1506, June 14, 2017, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

My question is specific to Bachmann item 66703 Louisville and Nashville E7A.   This is the non-sound model.  The locomotive comes with two lights that burn steady.     I'm thinking it would be possible to create a mars light effect by getting a multi-function decoder and programming the proper CV.  However, I don't want both lights blinking/pulsating.   Does anyone know if both lights are connected to the same circuit on this model?   If not, it might be the simple process of putting in a decoder and changing the CV.   If they are the same, then the bottom light would need to be connected to a different circuit which is a more complex modification.

To limit confusion,  I would appreciate replies only if you can answer the actual question. Thanks.

jonathan

Need just a bit more info to try to keep things simple.

Is your E7 the version with sound value on board?

Is it the DC only version?

With DCC and sound on board, this version would be complicated, as the decoders are basic and you wouldn't be able to program any kind of blinking light setting that I'm aware of.

If you have a DC version: do you know how to remove the shell to have a look inside?  If there is an 8 pin socket for installing your own decoder, you may be able to find a decoder that's programmable for a Mars light.

Regards,

Jonathan

emde5

According to the Bachmann catalog,  the L&N only has dual headlights, as per prototype.  The CB&Q says has headlights and Mars light per prototype.   So the L&N might not be equipped with one. 

Trainman203

The blinking on the model is an attempt to replicate the oscillation of the prototype.

Mars lights were long ago replaced by the actually blinking ditch lights.  Engine crews love ditch lights. 

I miss the old Mars lights though, they were a signature of the early diesel era.  Although a few steam engines got them too.