News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pilot rail installation

Started by SERABILL, July 01, 2017, 05:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SERABILL

On the 4-6-0 anniversary edition, there are small screws holding the pilot rail to the pilot. How do you install those little screws? A nut driver would be good but I can't figure out what size I would need. I'm afraid that using needle nose pliers would result in the screws flying all over the room.

BillBrakeman

Those screws are very small.  For that size of screw I use a pair of fine, curved tipped tweezers to hold it in place while starting it with a screw driver.  For larger, but still small, screws I use a tool which Micro-Mark calls a "Grabber" and Kadee calls a "Five Prong Gripper" which allows you to grab the screw by the end and start it.  I then finish up with a jeweler's screwdriver.

I just went to the Micro-Mark site http://www.micromark.com/mini-hand-tools/tweezers-grabbers?order=onlinecustomerprice:desc&show=48 and found thirty items that might interest you.

Bill

SERABILL

Thanks. My concearn is that any if these devices would be prone to dropping the screw. Soemwhere, there has to be a nut driver that fits those screws. I don't know how much a jewlers screwdriver would be since there are no slots on the screws. They are all hex head.

Hunt

SERABILL,

The  4-6-0 Large Scale Anniversary Locomotive and its exploded diagram I have seen

This is the screw used

Phillips Oval #1 Screw

Use a #1 Phillips screwdriver with magnetized head.

SERABILL

The obes that I have have hex heads. I see what you mean in the picture but Bachmann sent me the rails with hex head screws.

Hunt

If this is what you have

I had connecting pilot in mind so disregard my first reply.

Tony Walsham

So that kit is called a Pilot Rail set.
I thought they were called smokebox stays.
You live and learn.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Hunt

Pilot Rail Set – Gold  810XX-MTC14-15-G
     Left and Right Cowcatcher Rail and 4x Screw 10402

Parts update??  as an Large Scale 4-6-0 Anniversary Locomotive (from 2006 production run)  in front of me has 2 vey small black Philips flat head screws in each gold Cowcatcher Rail.  These screws can be removed with Philips #0 screwdriver. I know - this is no help for you!.

SERABILL

You're right about it being no help. I must have gotten old parts when I ordered them a few weeks ago. I solved the problem by putting the original rails on the new chassis. Thanks for your help and comments.

Hunt

Yardmaster,

Bachmann often changes a product without changing its Product Item number (the online catalog uses term Model for Item)

What is the current Head Type spec for 900XX-10402 Screw?
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=4802

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on July 03, 2017, 07:22:55 AM

Pilot Rail Set – Gold  810XX-MTC14-15-G
     Left and Right Cowcatcher Rail and 4x Screw 10402

Parts update??  as a Large Scale 4-6-0 Anniversary Locomotive (from 2006 production run)  in front of me has 2 very small black Phillips flat head screws in each gold Cowcatcher Rail.  These screws can be removed with Phillips #0 screwdriver. I know - this is no help for you.

An aside ---
After checking -- I find a screwdriver with Phillips #00 tip is better to use than #0.