News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

simple lights

Started by keddiewye, February 16, 2007, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keddiewye

i would like to add a few lights to the buildings on my shelf layout

I switch out my structures now and then to mix up the look, so I would like to make some battery powered lights that i can use in the various buildings in put on the layout

(i also am pretty ignorant and terrified of electrical jobs)

..so i am wondering if there are any companies that make small, battery powered LED light kits, or if anyone knows of a site with this kind of information.

here area couple shots of my layout to give you an idea what i'm working with.

thanks in advance for your consideration and cleverness;)

here's a link to my layout:

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/haz43/?action=view&current=debtrain008.jpg

jesse

I have a model Sinclair Filling Station and this is the simple little circuit that I used to put ceiling lights in.  All the parts are available from Radio Shack.

2 each clear white LEDs
1 switch single pole single throw.
1 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistor
1 9 volt battery with connector leads.
2 LED sockets
Misc. length of #18 wire.

Here is the illuminated station.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Jim Banner

I bought a string of 70 Warm White chritmas tree LED's after Christmas for about 20 cents per LED.  What is fascinating about these LED's (apart from their great colour) is that the end of each LED is coned inward instead of domed outward.  The cone works to reflect the light in all directions, very much like an incandescent lamp.  They are also very easy on current - 10 milliamps is plenty.  Two of them in series with a 9 volt rectangular alkaline battery and a 330 ohm resistor will light a small building upstairs and down for around 100 hours.  This is the same circuit Jesse shows above but with a higher resistance to reduce the current.  I bought one string of these to try out - now I wish I had bought more.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

keddiewye

very nice gas station, jesse;)

thanks for the tip!  that looks like exactly what i need

jesse

8)Glad to help.  I'm still a newbie at model railroading (only been in the hobby one month).  But If I can help out in anyway...I'm here.

Jesse

LD303

i used some battery powered lites from big lots...they use 2 AA batteries and there are 12 lites on a string...they cost like 99cts., i doubt youd find them this time of year tho, but in the future you might check them out...they work well...have low voltage so theres no heat to melt anything and you can swap the white bulbs for colored ones for diffrent lighting effects.

keddiewye

Hi Jesse, I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what gets attached to what in the wiring for your LED light setup.

I really dont know diddly about electrical stuff to begin with, so please bear with me;)

would you mind making a sketch or taking another shot of your setup?

I can't quite make out how the LED on the right is wired.

do both leads from the left hand LED go back to the battery?

thanks in advance..i feel like a dope!

jesse

No problem at all.  First let me explain LEDs.  Light Emitting Diodes. I prefer working with dc circuits because it is more convenient to use batteries and dc power sources than ac.  Your LED will come with two leads.  The long lead is the anode which is the + positive lead and a shorter lead which is the cathode - negative lead.  The circuit I used is basically this with a switch thrown in to turn it on and off. This example shows 3 LEDs in a string or series.  You can use any number as long as the source voltage is adequate.  Each LED will have a voltage drop of approx 3.1 volts.  In my setup I just used two LEDs.

On my wiring, I clipped the red lead of the battery connector because it was longer than I needed, but it connects to one lead of the switch. The black lead coming from the battery connector goes to the LED that is farther away from the battery and connects to the negative lead, or the one that is to the left as you are looking at it. The remaining length of red wire connects to the remaining lead of the LED. The other end of the red wire connects to the LED nearest the battery and goes to the lead on the right. The current limiting resistor connects between the center lead of the switch and the remaining lead of the LED.  I hope this helps and clears it up a bit for you. A word of caution.  use a very low wattage soldering iron when working with LEDs.  They are very heat sensitive and if you have access to a heat sink clip...use that.  A small alligator clip will do.
Jesse

keddiewye

thanks jesse, you rock;)

omw to radio shack!

ken black

I bought a Noma power supply for use on outside lights. I wired a household dimmer switch in line ahead of the power supply,then to a terminal strip.The indivual lights are wired to the strip I have over 30 lights on this supply. You can use automotive dashboard lights as most of are low watts and 12 volts.I also use the auto twist light base and solder wires to them for under my buildings.Ken

keddiewye

i;ve just finished installing LEDs in a warehouse, and in a gas station. The layout really looks good at night.

I'm trying to get some decent picks to put on my photobucket folder. Will put em up tonight

thanks very much to jesse and all that pitched in with tips;)

keddiewye

here's a pic of the gas station, but i couldnt take a night shot that looked good.

you'll have to take my word that the lights look cool ;D

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/haz43/?action=view&current=DSCN2134.jpg