News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Product suggestions for train sets

Started by sedfred, June 28, 2017, 08:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

Hey mr B, I assume you know those old time train sets? Like the Dewitt Clinton, John Bull and Lafayette? Will any more ever be made or have they become unprofitable? I think one should be made of the "best friend of charleston" or possibly the stourbridge lion. Is there any chance of this happening? Also could a train set ever be made featuring the GS4? The overland limited set has a 4-8-4 so I think a daylight train set with 4449 and a few orange daylight cars would be awesome and would be popular. I imagine my suggestions won't be taken seriously but it never hurts to try eh?

Trainman203

We need to applaud the Bach Man for continuing to offer train sets in an age of drones, RC cars, planes, and computer games.

Kids like things to be big and fast, so small early trains like the Stourbridge Lion may not have much of a future.  That kind of set I more easily envision on some railroad executive's desk as a curio. 

Although I've long since moved beyond train sets, I still think of them as a way to get a collection of things at a good price. The Echo Valley set has a 2-6-0 with sound, a couple of cars, track, and an EZ command for not a whole lot more money than the 2-6-0 by itself.  I'd keep the train itself for kit bashing and pass the track and EZ command on to a kid with not much money, like I was one time.

sedfred

That makes sense. I see that the Dewitt clinton is now labeled as "discontinued" in the parts store, that's too bad. But that's life i guess.

Now, about big and fast, what about a SP Daylight starter set like i mentioned? Power pack, an oval of nickel silver track, a GS-4 and three (or possible four) matching 85' smooth side Daylight cars? . Something kind of like the Cavalier train set that's now discontinued, but with SP daylight equipment, or maybe the same thing with American freedom train livery in place of daylight red and orange. Is there any possibility of this happening? Maybe the Bach man or yardmaster could chime in with their opinion?

Trainman203

Train sets always have 18" radius curved track, maybe even 15" in some.  Smaller engines than the daylight would run better and look better on those 18" curves.  I myself would love to see a steam era freight set with either the mikado or the pacific pulling 5 or 6 or more boxcar red and black cars, the predominant colors in those days .  The new Santa Fe boxcars represent the idea.  Bachmann doesn't at this time have an appropriate wood caboose from the period, that I know of, that could be a future production item.

brad g

Personally, I'd really like to see a Winans camelback.  But that's just 'cause i really like the 1860s-1870s period.
Not sure how much interest there is in Civil War trains nowadays.

Trainman203

There's always been on-again / off again interest in civil war trains.  Such a layout was featured in Model Railroader a few years ago.  Enough to continually maintain catalogue items, don't know.

Winans camelbacks were one of a kind.  There have been models of them before, but in O scale if I remember right.

Captain Crutch

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 01, 2017, 01:03:20 PM
This is the kind of steam era freight train I am thinking of, using all currently available products.  Accurate period cars and paint schemes, no loud toylike colors.

It may be a little long of a train but freights were long, and boxcars were predominant.
Believe me it's really not that long of a train, I mean just look at the overland set, there's a ton of cars there. I'd say there's nothing stopping bachmann and if they see enough interest they may go for it.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Trainman203

The thing about the overland set is the bright toylike colors and cars that are too modern for the steam era.  It's two cars longer than what I showed, so add two more  brown or boxcar red boxcars .  Or black twin hoppers.

Trainman203

I do know that bright colors sell train sets, though.  And that historic accuracy doesn't matter in the train set world.

Captain Crutch

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 03, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
The thing about the overland set is the bright toylike colors and cars that are too modern for the steam era.  It's two cars longer than what I showed, so add two more  brown or boxcar red boxcars .  Or black twin hoppers.
I was referring to the length. I know about the realism because otherwise I would've said just to get he overland. I was just trying to say the idea is possible because look at how long the overland is. The only reason I don't see them doing it is because the train sets are meant for kids to start out with, something that will catch the children's eyes, so a realistic set with more dull colors wouldn't have the same effect. They'd probably start out with a shunting set or something first just to test it out and go from there, if they were to take the realism idea. I would love a realistic set though, I could always use more track and I tend to stay with steam locomotives, something about them is just mesmerizing in a way.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

daddywalt

I have a suggestion for your Rail Chief Train set (00706) Please change the color of the front headlight and back headlight on the GP40 locomotive to white. My front and rear headlights are RED. ??????? The train runs great but I'm kinda disappointed in your choice of lighting.