News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Not enough power?

Started by kh25, July 09, 2017, 05:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh25

My layout is DC only using 2 selector switches to control 8 blocks
I have 2 basic ez command controllers. I just added the second selector switch and 4 more blocks.  When the engines is in one of the new blocks it crawls at top speed. Is it time to get a new power pack? The original blocks work fine just the 4 new blocks are having issues.  The new blocks are 4 new sidings.
Ok the power drops when i turn on a block with the second (newer) selector switch and that is system wide. The new blocks have both rails gapped with the right side rails as common  the wires are solder to a common rail in an older block  (no bus )
Thank you

jonathan

I am confused. EZ command is DCC. You said your layout is DC... are you trying to run both systems on one layout? Hope not...

Regards,

Jonathan

kh25

No its not dcc its the smaller version of the ez command dcc

Joe Satnik

Dear kh25,

You said: "I have 2 basic ez command controllers."

I think you've missed the point of DCC. 

One DCC controller (with added booster if needed) is supposed to control your entire layout.

If you have 2 DCC controllers, you must keep them entirely separate, running 2 isolated layouts.

An Atlas Selector calls for wiring a common rail between two dc power packs.

That means your 2 DCC controllers would be connected and interfering with each other.

Another possibility is a short somewhere on your layout from a derailed car or loco, a miswire,

a missing insulating rail connector, or missing

pair of insulating connectors on a turn around loop. 

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

kh25

Ugh its not dcc its Model: 44211
My mistake.

Joe Satnik

Do you have any turn-around loops, wyes, cross-overs, or turntables?

These can cause shorts if not installed and insulated properly. (Edit: Add:"using insulated rail joiners on both rails")

I suggest buying Atlas Book # 12, "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book".

Start troubleshooting by unplugging the 1/8" track power plug from power pack "B",

not letting the metal part of the plug touch any track or exposed wiring.

Remove all locos and cars from the track, except your best running diesel loco.

Switch all selectors to run on power pack "A" and run your loco everywhere you can.

If your wiring is up to snuff, it should run the same everywhere (no drop-outs or slow-downs).

If there are, look for problems in your wiring, power-to-track connectors and rail connectors. (Edit: Add: AKA rail joiners)   

Disconnect power pack "A" track plug, re-connect "B" track plug to power pack B,

switch all selectors to "B" and repeat the test.

Let us know the results.

Hope this helps.  

Joe Satnik

Edit: Added "insulated rail joiners" and "rail joiners"
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.