Ex-Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 and Southern #630 Question?

Started by Searsport, July 17, 2017, 06:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I have been looking at SOU 2-8-0 #630 on the Tennessee Valley Railroad. This loco was built by Richmond in 1904 but looks very like the old Spectrum, now standard line loco (except that #630's tender might be shorter and with higher raised coal sides). (see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/SOU630attvrmgj.jpg).

I am wondering, was the Spectrum Connie ever issued for the SOU, or even as #630? If not, might I suggest that it ought to be!!!!!

Thanks,
Bill.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I know they had released the Spectrum 2-8-0 in Southern green as #722 and a couple other road numbers and in Southern Black but don't remember the road number.

Searsport

Thanks. I know about the green one, I was hoping there might be a black one. #630 seems to have spent its entire life on branchline service, as did many others, and is unlikely to have seen green paint!. I have a pair of SOU ALCo Modern 2-6-0s of the "Sound Value" variety, and a with sound 2-8-0 would be a nice companion for them. I do have the NC&StL Spectrum 2-8-0 to keep them company for the moment. I know the 4-4-0 came out in green and black, but i prefer the big #s on the tender to the gold lining of either of those. Perhaps unjustifiably, the green 2-8-0 shouts "Train Set" to me!

The Southern USRA light 2-8-2 and 2-10-2 are nice models too. The 2-10-2 is no longer in the catalogue and is described as "Discontinued" in the spares section of this website, and as there seems no reason to discontinue a good-looking loco I am guessing it is being re-tooled with all the detail cast in, so those original bodies in the parts store may be valuable commodities!

Best Regards,
Bill.