News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diesel or Steam?

Started by traindave, July 26, 2017, 12:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

2-8-0 is a great steam locomotive for a small layout. 

Flare

Quote from: traindave on July 27, 2017, 11:57:13 AM
Looking for a non 0-6-0 puller that has decent power that fits my old town kind of feel to it. Decisions, decisions. What do you have that is good in the steam family?

I model On30 myself, not HO.  But I do have tips for looking for a locomotive in any scale:

1:  The more wheels with electrical pickup, the better.  This is especially important if your layout has turnouts or cross tracks because a loco with a short electrical wheelbase will stall on the gaps if it doesn't get enough power.

2:  Check for the tightest curve radius the loco is rated to negotiate.  If your curve(s) are too tight the wheels can ride up and over the rails or spread the track.

3:  Look for maintenance instructions:  Some locomotives need more disassembly than others for cleaning and lubrication.  If it looks more intense than you're willing to go through at the manufacturer's recommended schedule, check for another manufacturer's version or a different model.

ebtnut

Dave:  Your "non-0-6-0" would lead to the Consolidation - these engines were the "maids of all work" during the steam era.  The Bachmann loco is a typical 1920's era loco that would last until the end of steam.  Consols were the primary freight power from the 1870's until the early 20th Century when the Mikados and other trailing truck locos came to prominence.  The last steam loco in regular service in the U.S. was a 2-8-0, running into the 1980's.

Idontknowwhattodo

I don't really care much but the Chattanooga set does the steam engine need to use liquid steam or any other liquids that produce steam to run correctly if you know plz respond right now am more with Diesel engines due to they don't need steam liquid.

Trainman203

Traindave, I have at least one of every Spectrum rod steam engine the Bach Man ever made, plus a couple of standard line moguls and the USRA MacArthur.  All of them are good engines that pull pretty well.