News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

It's Time For A Change of Crews...

Started by strummer, August 03, 2017, 11:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strummer

First off, I apologize if this been asked before:

I have a couple of Spectrum steam engines, and would like to swap out the factory-applied crew members for some other, shall I say, more realistic(?) fellows.

Now, I know how to take these things apart for maintenance, but am not sure how one would go about accessing the inside of the cab(s), to remove and replace said crew guys.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome, and appreciated. Thanks.

Mark in Oregon

jonathan

Mark,

I was going to refer to the Connie Diagram, but there isn't a diagram sheet in the Information Section. I'll come back to that...

Anyway, it is possible to remove the cab, though, I don't recommend it.  There is some glue between the cab and the boiler that can be loosed with some gentle wiggling and prying.  BUT, you must also be mindful of any pipes or wires that are also connected to the front of the cab. In other words, while it is possible, The manufacturers did not intend for the cab to be separated from the boiler, once assembled at the factory.

If I were to attempt a crew switch, I would reach in with some bent needle nose pliers and wiggle-out the crew, seats included, if possible.  Less mess to deal with in the end. As an aside, If you manage to get the crew out, you may find repainting them a better solution tor replacing them.  I've had good luck with that.  Just a suggestion.

Now... I know Connies are still being produced. I believe when the 2-8-0 went from Spectrum to standard, someone pulled the old diagram, and forgot to put in the new diagram.  Just a guess...

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  Some Bachmann steamers have a small screw that also holds the cab to the boiler.  If memory serves, the Connie does not have that screw, but check underneath, just in case.  jv

Addendum II:  Oops, you didn't say your loco is a 2-8-0.  I assumed too much. However, the Mountains didn't come with a crew as I recall.  I have no experience with the Pennsy K-4s. 'nuff said. jv

strummer

Jonathan

Thanks for your insights and suggestions.

At this time the only Spectrum (or Bachmann) locos I have are indeed the K4 and Connie: how did you know that?  ??? :)

When I had the 2-8-0 apart the other day, I think I did see a small screw at the front of the cab: I believe there was also some glue visible, so it appears that, as you said, separating the cab from the boiler is not an option. The K4 I can't remember, but I'm guessing it's the same.

It also appears that the crew is glued in place, so I have to wonder how difficult it would be to remove them without damaging something; a re-paint would be fine, but getting them out might prove to be asking for trouble.

Will continue to ponder the situation; in the meantime, they are both excellent runners. These are the first HO "split-frame" locos I've had, and although they are a pain the work on ( I "grew up" building Bowser-type steamers), I am impressed with both.

Now to find a tender for the K4...

Mark in Oregon