Problem with power wipers on drivers of USRA Light Pacific

Started by RichStrebendt, August 09, 2017, 02:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichStrebendt

I am really upset about the poor design of the power wipers on the drivers of the USRA Light Pacific (Item No. 52801).  They are mounted so that they extend BELOW the railhead height.  They may work fine on Bachmann EZ Track, but they did not survive their first and only partial trip around my layout.  I use Shinohara code 70 HO, HOn3, and dual gauge track.  The wipers were destroyed when they snagged on the tight clearances of my dual gauge track switches.  Now I have yet-another Botchmann Display Queen -- pretty but unusable. >:(  It will sit right next to the two H-16-44's I bought years ago that SCREECH as they roll down the track on bearings that were shot after 1/2 hour of running (for some reason their bearings will not hold lubricant, though I have been told that STP oil additive might cling to the strange alloy used for the bearings).

indian_hills_r_r

rich , I just got a used prr k-4 pacific 4-6-2 and I noticed that the wipers behind the drivers are bent. is this the same problem you are having with these wipers being bent? I haven't run it yet because I have to fix a couple broken wires from the tender to the loco.
could you post a picture of the back of the drivers. I would like to see if I will be having the same problem.

thanks

Trainman203

The USRA 4-8-2 had what appears to be a similar issue.  Phosphor Bronze contact wipers pointing down to railhead level.  The least misalignment, they snag on the rail.

Trainman203

I have the 2-8-2.  I'm out of town and can't check to see if it has the same prob.  Does it?