News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale 4-8-4 steam loco doesn't move

Started by flamboy, August 21, 2017, 10:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamboy

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Bachmann E-Z track System Item No 00614 - Overlan Limited train set. This set includes the 4-8-4 Stem loco. I setup the a couple of the tracks with the loco, hooked up the controller and made sure the set works. And it did. I put the set back in the packaging in order to set the whole thing up at a later time. When I came back to set it up again, the loco wouldn't move at all.

I measured the voltage across the rails of the controller with the loco on the track, and the needle barely moved. I removed the loco and measure the voltage, and it measured about 25 volts. I'm trying to figure out what might've gone wrong. Any ideas?

Thank you.

dutchbuilder

It looks like you have a short circuit in the locomotive.
25Volts you measure is to much.
Max V is 18V.
So my conclusion is that you have blown up your decoder.

Ton

Jhanecker2

To dutchbuilder :  the Overland Limited  is a DC  system & therefore  has no decoder .   I am curious as how he managed to get  25 volts of power into a system that should not have been able to do so . I actually own the Overland Limited Set .  Though you may be correct about the short circuit , I would also check out the functionality of the controller to see if it can operate  any other  DC  locomotive .  J2.

jonathan

Stupid question time. Does the power pack have an AC accessories side? If so, the SECOND time the set was connected, the lights would work, but loco motor is burning up trying to move on AC power.

More new modelers destroy their first set connecting to the wrong side of the power pack.  Just sayin...

Regards,

Jonathan

dutchbuilder

My fault , I automagically assumed in these modern times that it was DCC.
25 Volts is a bit to much to my liking.
Maybe he has fried the motor.
For the layman , he released the magic smoke contained in electronic parts ;D

Ton

Jhanecker2

to Jonathan : Standard  DC controllers do have and AC  output to control the track switches for standard  turnouts . J2.