constant banging noise from Tsunami sound module

Started by Robert Kiewiet, August 16, 2017, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Kiewiet

I have an Ho Bachmann Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 Item #80129  It has factory installed Tsunami sound.
Whenever power is on the track this loco makes a constant "banging sound effect".
Even when it's moving, this sound can be heard above the chuff. It never stops, until the power is unplugged.
It's a nice little sound effect, but please, NOT ALL THE TIME!  Is this something that can be reprogrammed or is it a defect?
Any help would be appreciated.

Trainman203

That's probably the air pump.  Get the air pump volume cv from the mfr. data and turn it down.  There may be a cv to reduce its frequency too.  I got tired of it  on mine too and turned it down.

Hunt

Do a decoder reset –  After reset  does the sound need lowering or do you want it  removed?

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

Robert Kiewiet

It was the air pump and CV32 adjusted the volume down. 
Thanks for the tip! 

Trainman203

All of the sounds on most of those Soundtraxx decoders are way out of balance, particularly on the 4-4-0. The whistle particularly is way too quiet. Out of all the whistle choices, my least favorite , the B&O 3 chime, is the only one loud enough to use because it is the Bach Man's favorite, it is on every decoder they put in their engines.

If you've ever been around engines under steam , you know that the whistle by far is the loudest thing on them.  Turn master volume cv 128 and whistle volume cv 129 all the way up to 255.  The bell and chuff are way too loud in comparison now.  Bell 130 should be somewhere around 50 and the chuff between 50 and 100.  The entire engine will now be very quiet but at least more in balance .  You can set these to suit and then work on the others accordingly.