Thomas and Friends in DCC Sound

Started by TrainCollector, August 17, 2017, 09:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainCollector

I know we've already started a 2018 thread but I've decided to start something different. Here's a subject that we will only focus on Thomas if the engines were to be upgraded to DCC and sound in HO scale much like the large scale range. Here's what I came up with.

For engines I've decided these two would be great for a start because they're popular and Bachmann would sell these very well I sure hope the Bach Man is listening to these ideas. These are HO scale by the way.

Thomas the Tank Engine with DCC sound and moving eyes
Percy the small engine with DCC sound moving eyes

Yes it's Thomas and Percy with DCC sound. With a little extra cost I'd say a speaker would need to be supplied as well as a sound decoder. Plus if you have a DCC controller you can program up to ten digital addresses on Bachmann's easy command controller. For example you'd want to program Thomas to digital address number 1 and Percy to digital address number 6. Sound features would include chuff, short and long whistle, idling, steam exhaust upon stopping and cylinder blow down. All in 16 bit polyphonic sound.

Also available should be a DCC sound decoder and speaker. By changing DCC parameters. You can provide sound to Thomas, Percy, James, Edward, Henry, Gordon, Emily, Spencer, Toby, Duck, Oliver, Rosie, Donald and Douglas, and Bill and Ben.(side note: Donald and Douglas and Bill and Ben use the same sound package.) This would be the steam sound package included with the decoder. Soldering the wires onto the decoder would need to be required.

Well guys this is my idea for the next big thing in Thomas. Please leave a comment on what you all think constructive criticism is welcome if you guys think there should be some improvement. This page is only talking about DCC Thomas products only so if you want to talk Large scale that's fine too. These are just ideas for HO scale for now.

Chaz

As I said in an earlier thread, I would fully support the idea of Bachmann doing HO scale DCC and sound Thomas models.  The large scale engines/module seemed to do pretty well, and the speed activated sound Thomas is still one of the top sellers in HO.  It might be slightly redundant due to the latter being in analog sound, but it would also be a great way to get Thomas fans into DCC.  I think doing Thomas and Percy models would be a great starting point as you mentioned earlier and making modules to allow other characters to have sound wouldn't be a bad idea either.  In some ways Bachmann would be better off doing this in HO instead of a new engine allowing more focus for narrow gauge too.

Bachmann has nothing to lose at this point by adding DCC/sound to their HO scale range, unlike Winston, and I think long term these would be very popular in HO.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainCollector

Yeah I think so too. I hope the admins take a look at this and least consider putting Thomas in DCC sound.

thomasj219

I doubt they  would've bothered to make sound files for engines they will never make in large scale if they werent at least considering it. Maybe they  want to develop a cheaper module for Thomas trains so the price won't be that expensive.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

If they took out the eye mechs, it would open so many doors to new possibilities i.e. a smoke unit, headlamps, but I guess it is a kids range after all. I'd be all for DCC Bachmann thomas engines. I know I'd love to convert to DCC but my layout right now is predominately Thomas and I don't want to go through the hassle of jerryrigging a decoder inside a normal thomas, so if a bachmann-produced option was readily available I'd be more than willing to make the switch. Until then, it's DC for me.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TrainCollector

This would really be a good idea for the 2018 or 2019 announcements. I mean they did it in Large Scale so why no HO? It would be nice to have Thomas and Percy with DCC and Sound on board in HO scale. I mean this is why I created the thread to get the word out and hopefully demand for this will get out there and Bachmann will hopefully make these. I mean if we run out of new characters we could get a DCC sound on Board Thomas and Percy. They'd be expensive but totally worth it.