News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connectivity Issue with Light Mountain

Started by Gustav, December 05, 2007, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franz T

Gustav,

Charles is right, don't be discouraged. I have a bunch of steamers (5 Spectrum 2-8-0's, 2 Spectrum  4-8-2's, 2 Spectrum 2-6-6-2's, 2 LikeLike 2-8-4's 1 LL 2-8-8-2, 3 Model Power 4-6-2's,  1 MP 2-8-2, 1 MP 4-4-0, 1 MP 2-6-0 and 1 MRC 2-8-0, plus a few older models). Out of all of those, the only one that I have had a problem with out of the box has been one of the 2-6-6-2's and that was a minor fix. So yes, you can run steam without being mechanically inclined. Furthermore, ALL manufacturers are more than happy to fix any problem for you. (I did have to send one of the MP 4-6-2's back, but that was due to a problem with the first production run and nothing that could have been fixed by me. MP sent me a new locomotive as soon as the improved models arrived..)
If you return your locomotives to Bachman you can be sure they will either fix or replace them for you. If you bought them in the last year and include your receipt, there should be no charge, IIRC..

Franz T

Gustav

Franz,

I'm told that Bachmann does not fix locos, but that they're happy to replace them.  Problem is, of course, that Tony's Trains already installed DCC/Sound decoder in the loco.  If they are unwilling to fix it, I'd have to have Tony remove and reinstall the decoder.

I suppose my only option in this case is to persevere and try to repair the loco myself, or have someone at Tony's look at it.

Franz T

Ahh, that might be a problem.. Your best bet is to call Bachmann directly (1-800-356-3918 ext18) and get their input. I have only sent one loco to them, an old (20+yrs) 2-8-0 about 3 years ago. They replaced it with a new Spectrum since the model I sent in was long out of production. I really don't know if that is automatic or if they try to repair something if the fix is not too difficult. FWIW, I sent a Baldwin VO 1000 back to Atlas a few years ago and they returned the same one I sent in...
But that was Atlas. Go ahead, call the service dept, explain your problem and see what they say...

Franz T

James in FL

Gustav,
My apologies for not getting back to you and this forum over the weekend.
I cannot offer any more advice than brokemoto has already offered in regard to polishing the post of the lokie where the tender drawbar connects (Light Mountain). Maybe double check the obvious contact points within the tender.

On the Connie; maybe inspect, under magnification, that the traction tire is all the way seated in the grove of the driver for correcting wobble. If I have wobbling that is the first thing I check, followed by quartering.

I also see that you have the attention and advise of Victor over on the “A” Forum.
I would recommend you strongly consider his advice.

Victor sees a lot of “problem children lokies” and has/can, offer good advice on a fix for most any problem on pretty much every manufacturers lokies.
You might try to contact him off line via a private PM.

I wish I could help you more.
The only way to gain proficiency is to take it apart and figure it out.
Yeah, it takes time, which many don’t/can’t spend on tweaking.
You, seem to me, the type to want to learn as you have sought out advice.
This small hurdle will soon come to pass and you will gain a greater enjoyment and understanding of the intricacies of the hobby in general.

Tweaking is a given, whether it be steam, diesel, rolling stock, couplers, track work, etc. It’s always something, sometime, somewhere.
Nobody has a tweak free railroad.
Minimal tweaking is obtainable, but elimination, is impossible.
Too many variables prevent this.

This is what makes it a fun challenging hobby IMO.
If every thing was “perfect” all the time there would no longer be a challenge, and I soon would become board and find another hobby.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to watch trains run for hours on end without a single derail or glitch.
I can do that more often than not.
But… things happen.  ;)

As a last resort you can call B’mann, explain your problems, and send your lokies to them.
If still under warrantee they will send you replacements.
If not under warrantee they will send replacements for a small fee.
Well worth it if you begin pulling hair.

If you have a specific road name you want returned, you will want to discuss possibly removing the shell(s) with the service rep.
B’mann has been very understanding with this with me.
Also, you will have to remove any decoder you have installed before sending back.
Do not count on getting your same lokie back.

Best of Luck.