News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

motor install

Started by JRP, August 23, 2017, 01:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRP

How do I install a Soundtraxx decoder to a Bachmann motor (# F4OPH H16-44)?
What are the two black wires for (positive and negative)?  What are the 2 capacitors for? 
Are there written instructions for these motors? 

dutchbuilder

Did you had a look at the tsunami quick start PDF?

Ton

BTW, if the capacitors are between the motor connections they are there for RF suppression (sparks)
They should be removed because they can interfere with the DCC signals.

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 23, 2017, 09:30:05 AM
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27726.0.html
Is a link to another link for GP7.

The SoundTraxx Bachmann GP7 Tsunami Digital Sound Decoder Installation Notes have limited usefulness and can be misleading to someone with little or no DCC decoder installation experience.

A HO Bachmann FM H16-44 and older version F40PH have a split frame. Each half of the frame is part of the circuit from wheels to motor and the motor picks up power from the frames with wipers.  Adding sound decoder and speaker to a slit frame locomotive is different than the GP7 in the Note requiring instructions relevant to split frames.

Is the F40PH the old HO version or new.
  Old version   Click Here
  New version Click Here  

Note the new version is not slit frame. 

dutchbuilder

Guys, i mentioned the quick start pdf so he can see which coloured wires from the decoder go where.
That was his question, how to connect a motor to a soundtraxx decoder.

Ton

JRP

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the this information.  Actually, I have installed a number of decoders on Athearn motors, but not on Bachmann. This darn forum space will not allow me to send you photos of the motors I purchased on line awhile back.  So, on the next message I'll just send photos without this message.

I just wanted to know now if the two black wires on these motors were for connecting to the gray and orange (negative and positive) wires on my Econami 100 decoder.  I got your message about the capacitors and will eliminate them from the motor. 

Look for the photos next.....

Hunt

Quote from: dutchbuilder on August 23, 2017, 02:24:39 PM
Guys, i mentioned the quick start pdf so he can see which coloured wires from the decoder go where.
That was his question, how to connect a motor to a soundtraxx decoder.

Ton

Ton,
My reply is an aside not intended to answer JRP's questions about Bachmann motor for F40PH or H16-44 as I  see nothing in the Parts Catalog for a F40PH or H16-44 motor with two black wires.

Hunt

Quote from: JRP on August 23, 2017, 06:30:26 PM

Look for the photos next.....

The Additional Options... Attach:   feature cannot be used to post photo. 

To post a photo in this forum it has to reside (stored) in an URL registered site. Most people upload to a photo/image hosting site. Then place the photo using link to photo between SMF Bulletin Board Code Image Tags in the the Bachmann forum. Tags can be typed or entered by clicking on the

JRP

Thanks Hunt.  Let me work to set up the photos as suggested.

P.S.  The other part number I show is 870XX-6153 (displayed on EBay with sale of Bachmann motors).

JRP

Hunt

Quote from: JRP on August 23, 2017, 10:27:46 PM
. . .
The other part number I show is 870XX-6153 (displayed on EBay with sale of Bachmann motors).

JRP

870XX-6153 in Bachmann Parts Catalog is Motor (Older Model) (HO F40PH)

You can see one of the two power pick up wipers, which when bent out touches a frame

Hunt

641XX-6172 in Bachmann Parts Catalog is Motor (HO H16-44)

JRP

Hunt,

I still need to send you pictures of the motor I bought, but I'm still a bit confused on how to send photos with this site.  I have the photos on a photo site, and you say "Then place the photo using link to photo between SMF Bulletin Board Code Image Tags in the Bachmann forum. Tags can be typed or entered by clicking on the image button.  When I click the image button above, it just enters [img]??   What is the tag??  I do not get this.

Help me out here if you would please so I can send you photos of the motor I bought. 

Thanks
JRP

Hunt

JRP,

Just copy and paste link to photo in your reply.

I will use it to show you how to display photo.