Main Menu

motor install

Started by JRP, August 23, 2017, 01:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRP

JRP

Hunt,

Pictures below.

So, still need to know about the two black wires soldered to the motor. Also, just to confirm, the 2 capacitors are to be cut off, yes?   
Is this the older or newer version? 

Thanks in advance....JRP

20170824_093343_resized by John Parrish, on Flickr

dutchbuilder

It's so obvious in these pictures.
remove the black wires and solder grey and orange there.
where which colour goes is not clear but will become apparent when you run the motor.
When it goes the wrong way you have the wires crossed.
I understand why the c's are soldered to the body.
But that is no concern to you.
Just remove them.

Ton

Hunt

John,
The yellow "thing" is a capacitor, which as used is part of the RF suppression. Remove both  -  not needed if locomotive is run in USA.

Black wires – Solder one to decoder Gray: Motor (-) the other to Orange: Motor (+) or desolder the black wires and solder decoder motor wires in their place.  Test locomotive for direction of travel before soldering.

Speculation - Looks like a motor that has been cannibalized. The motor is in a motor mount, which looks like a mount used in HO F7-A/B, FT-A/B, F9

Hunt

An Aside

JRP... Outstanding photo!

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on August 24, 2017, 06:39:29 PM
. . . .

Speculation - Looks like a motor that has been cannibalized. The motor is in a motor mount, which looks like a mount used in HO F7-A/B, FT-A/B, F9

more...
It could be motor for the "new version" of the HO F40PH except the motor mount does not match L1147-00U01 shown in parts diagram and listed in parts catalog.

JRP

OK, I should have photos now below of the motor in question. 

I have done the following:
   .   Wired the orange and gray wires of a decoder to the two copper "tabs" where the black wires use to be on
       the motor. 
   .   Removed the two capacitors that were soldered to the motor.
   .   Soldered red wires to right wheel pickup and black wire to frame for left wheel pickup.

When I place the wheels and frame on the test track, nothing happens.  No LED light in the decoder which means no power is being recognized.  No pickup.  I am using my DCS-50 throttle and using JMRI.
However, when I have run this motor in DC by just connecting each black wire to a terminal, the motor runs very well.  What am I missing here?  How is this motor different than Athearn motors when connecting to a decoder?? 

Thanks

JRP     

20170824_093357_resized by John Parrish, on Flickr

20170824_093332_resized by John Parrish, on Flickr

Vivictionora

As an aside note, you can upload the photos on imgur and it'll always show without a broken link. Flickr can be bad sometimes.

JRP

Hey guys,

I still need help from one of you "motor" experts.  The motor in questions is shown below again and are also in previous messages. See my notes below:

I have done the following:
   .   Wired the orange and gray wires of a Soundtrax decoder to the two copper "tabs" where the black wires
       used to be on the motor. 
   .   Removed the two capacitors that were soldered to the motor.
   .   Soldered red wires to right wheel pickups and a black wire to loco frame for left wheel pickup.
   .   Made sure the motor and decoder were "isolated" from the frame.

When I place the wheels, frame and motor on the test track, nothing happens.  No LED light in the decoder which means no power is being recognized.  No pickup.  I am using my DCS-50 throttle and JMRI.
However, when I have run this same motor in DC by just connecting each black wire to a terminal, the motor runs very well.  What am I missing here?  How is this motor different than Athearn motors when connecting to a decoder?? 

I have 4 of these new motors and would like to use them on Athearn F and GP units.

Thanks

JRP

20170824_093332_resized by John Parrish, on Flickr

Hunt

Use a multimeter in Continuity Test Mode to find the open (openings) in the electrical paths from tread of power pick up wheels to decoder.

Check online decoder installations in the Athearn models you have and use to compare all your wiring.  Perhaps one of the decoder installs in Train Control Systems will help.