News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Train cars?

Started by dragonbusa, September 06, 2017, 11:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonbusa

Hey guys, I'm wanting to make one of my lines into a passenger train. Will 11 1/2 inch cars make around 18 deg turns? I've found a set of Amtrak cars I want but I don't want to have to change my lay out to run them. Thanks for any input.

jonathan

Most full length passenger cars require a minimum of 22" radius curves.  Some require as much as 24" radius.

For 18" radius, one can use the 19th century type passenger cars which are 6 to 7 inches in length.

Regards,

Jonathan

Elnovato

Walthers Mainline offers full length Amtrak (and other roadname) cars that run on 18in curves.

Len

You could also use somewhat more modern 72' cars. The RF&P, along with a few other roads, actually had some due to the sharp (for the prototype) curves on some routes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

This question gets asked every week in some form or another.

It needs a FAQ listing.

Basically, only short equipment looks right and operates well on sharp curves.

Trainman203

How about this for a FAQ page.

In general, for best appearance and operation:

15" radius- 40' cars maximum

18" radius - 50' cars

22" radius -  60' cars

This doesn't mean that longer cars wont work.  It means they won't look very good and may not operate properly.

Elnovato

The Athearn/Roundhouse streamlined cars look good on 18in radii. I think they are 72' long. I would love to buy full length, more detailed Bachmann cars (in my opinion they are better value than top of the line Walthers). Unfortunately all those require a 22in minimum at best (and some do not specify).

Trainman203

When I first built my layout I used 18" radius curves to save space and allow longer yards.  I was doing a 1940 period branch line so I thought it would look OK. Right away I saw thet even though my 50' freight cars would make it around the curves, they didn't look very realistic hanging over at the ends .  Plus, when switching , the couplers wouldn't align well.  At the time I was not thinking passenger cars at all.

I replaced the curves with 26" radius at one location and 28" radius at another.  All was fine, everything looked good.

Then a manufacturer came out with a 70' MP heavyweight baggage car that would be perfect for my mixed train.  I found that even on the 26" radius curve, it complained about going around it , and, to my eye at least, just looked toylike the way it fit the curve.  Someone else came out with a 60' heavyweight baggage car that worked better, but still didn't look that good on the curve to me.  I rarely run it, and am saving the 70' car for the big retirement layout.

So, it comes down to whatever works and whatever looks good to your personal vision of your railroad.  I'm pretty critical but what looks off to me may be just fine for someone else.