News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Brass Track

Started by RkyGriz, September 04, 2017, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hey guys! I just got lucky and picked up a box of brand new Bachmann 5 ft. solid brass track on Ebay for $50.00! I plan on using this as a replacement for my older Lionel G Scale track. My question for you guys is if this track is similar and compatible with all other brands of like track available? I'm looking at straight track from LGB, REA, Aristocraft, and Kalamazoo on Ebay right now. Bachmann as well. I'm looking for the best price/deal and it would be nice to know your thoughts before I proceed with the purchase of any straight track for this circle of Bachmann brass track.
Thank you in advance!
Andrew

armorsmith

Andrew,

Generically, yes, all those manufacturers mentioned will play together. That said, they do not all use exactly the same dies for extruding the rail so profile of the rail may not match exactly.  Manufacturers mold their tie strip to provide proper track gauge for their rail profile, that is why one manufacturers tie strip may not fit another's rial. This will also carry through to slip joiners, some will work across brands, others not so much. My recommendation would be to use slip joiners common to the brand where possible. When joining differing brands I suggest using a Hillman or SplitJaw type of clamp.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Andrew,

I have had no problems between the brands, but I have always believed in using rail clamps for all joints, or soldering them.  This is especially advised if used outdoors with track power.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

Bob, have you found a secret cache of Hillmans? My understanding is they have been out of business for quite some time.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Plow_Bender

I myself am using Bachmann brass track with LGB 1615 switches for my garden railroad.  Both brands work together, but I have found that the rail joiners on LGB don't really agree with Bachmann track and you really have to force the rail in them.  I've been able to get around this issue by installing Bachmann rail joiners on the LGB track and it seems to work just fine.  I haven't used rail clamps or tried soldering my tracks together, but I do take the time to install screws in all of the rail joiners so nothing comes apart.  Considering I'm still very much new to building outdoor railroads, not everything I do is the correct or much less even the best way of doing things, but it's always worked for me.

Just a word of advice, if you're building a full circle of track, I highly recommend investing in some 8' diameter (or greater) curves.  You may not have anything that requires this large of a radius, but it would help to save on wear and tear of your locomotives and/or rolling stock.  Building my garden railroad I went with large radius curves as I do plan on getting a few larger locomotives here in the future.  As the saying goes, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

armorsmith

@Greg - I haven't found any secret stashes....just commenting on what 'will' work. I am aware that Hillmans are getting to be scarce as hen's teeth, but they do occasionally show up on Ebay. I simply answered the OP question as accurately as I could.

RkyGriz

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies and advice. The track arrived today. It is brand new and very pretty. Can't wait to add to it with some Bachmann brass straights! I found a box for a little less than $90.00 on Ebay, so I'll be ordering that before too much longer. It costs about the same for other manufacturers' similar brass track anyway, so I'll most likely be sticking to the Bachmann track for any future expansions of my modest layout.
Thanks again!
Andrew

armorsmith

Andrew,

A word of caution on Bachmann curve track. The Brass track comes in two sizes - 4 foot diameter (2 foot radius), and 8 foot diameter (4 foot radius). This is acceptable for small wheelbase steam and diesel locomotives, but not going to work well for larger ones. As an example, I have a Spectrum K27 that will negotiate a 10' diameter circle, but it does not like it. My wifes USAT GP7/9 will do 8 foot, but does not like it. If all you plan to run is short wheelbase locos, then the smaller (and 8 foot diameter is on the smaller spectrum) curves are OK. If your plans include The larger 6 axle diesels, or larger USAT and Aristo steam, the I would look to find the largest diameter curves you can stand.

Happy Railorading

Bob C.

RkyGriz

Thanks! I currently have 1 Bachmann Spectrum  South Pacific 4-4-0 Centennial loco,5 Bachmann 4-6-0 Annies, 2 Lionel 0-6-0 locos, 1 Lionel 0-4-0 loco,and a Hartland Locomotive Works 4-4-0 along with over 20 freight and passenger cars of various descriptions/brand names. All seem to do very well on my current 5 foot diameter Lionel track. This new track is 5 foot diameter as well, so I can't imagine there being any problems with it. I'm going to try to make the Bachmann 5 foot curves interface with the Lionel straights by removing track pins from the Lionel rails and using joiners for a while until I can afford to buy the Bachmann straight tracks, but other than that I don't think that there will be any major problems. I'm only running my trains indoors in a room with limited space and the 5 foot rails are a perfect fit for what I'm doing. So I should be finer for now.
Thanks for the advice!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Hey guys. Received the new track today and set it up for the first time. I like the way it joins together and find it to be well made and the train runs very quietly on it as opposed to my older Lionel track that clacks at every joint. I am running my 4-6-0 Annie customized D&RG loco with real wood in the tender on it for the first run.
See it here on youtube if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevbWlP12-E&t=1s
Thank all of you for your kind advise!
Andrew

Joe Zullo

Andrew,
I think you linked the wrong video. Those are someone else's HO trains!  :-\

RkyGriz

Thanks for the heads up,Joe! I've never seen that video in my life and I haven't a clue as to how this  occurred ! Oh well ! I fixed it with an updated and correct link.
Thanks again!
Andrew