News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cass Scenic Railroad

Started by jonathan, September 11, 2017, 05:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Went on a guys-only golfing trip this past weekend.  Unbeknownst to me, the driver/host of our trip planned his route to drive right through Cass, WV, knowing my enthusiasm for trains.

As we pulled into town a steamer was lit off and prepping for an excursion run.  I reverted into my 9-year-old self and begged for the car to stop and let me out... right now!

I managed to take a few shots of the locomotive, billowing smoke and all:

20170908_131511 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_131524 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_131546 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_131640_HDR by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_131700 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_131725 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

As a special treat, just for me I'm sure, there is a B&O GP-9, parked on a siding... a bit faded I think:

20170908_132909 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

20170908_132935 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This was the highlight of the weekend... certainly wasn't my golf game!  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Nathan

I have been going to Cass since the late 1970's.  Do not make it as often as I used to but every trip had been enjoyable.

While you are in the area if you have you family with you also take them to Green Bank Observatory.

Nathan

Terry Toenges

We went there back in 2003. It was Shay #5 that we had on our ride up and down the mountain.
http://www.sarget.com/traintour-cass.html
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

I was there in 1973.  3 engines under steam that day.  Sounded like a 1920s junction, all those different whistles echoing.  No GP there back then, they weren't historic then.  To me, they still aren't 😮😂.

ebtnut

I was there two weekends ago, for the first time in many years.  IIRC, No. 11 was working the Whitaker train, and we had the Pacific Coast engine on our Bald Knob run.  First visit, the old shops were still standing, along with about half the mill.  I rented WM 6 and a photo freight back in 1982 and ran all the way to Durbin and back.  Cost? $850.00!  The new D&GV management hopes to have the Durbin line back in 2019, and maybe both Climaxes.  Right now, Heisler 6 is working the "Durbin Rocket" while the Climax is undergoing her 1,472 work.  Note that B&O modeler/expert Bruce Eliot is building a very large B&O display layout in Greenbank and visitors are welcome.  Google him for details. 

the Bach-man

Dear Jonathan,
A year ago last August I had the honor of accompanying Lee Riley's family, his Bachmann family, and scores of his friends from the model railroading community where, according to his wishes, his son Clint placed his ashes in the Shay's firebox at the summit and he became part of the West Virginia hills.
I miss Lee every day, and we should all be grateful for his contributions to our hobby.
Best,
the Bach-man

jonathan

Thanks for sharing that, Bach-man.  Very touching. The scenery there is beautiful.  Must have been a memorable moment for all.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

Quote from: the Bach-man on September 11, 2017, 10:00:15 PM
Dear Jonathan,
A year ago last August I had the honor of accompanying Lee Riley's family, his Bachmann family, and scores of his friends from the model railroading community where, according to his wishes, his son Clint placed his ashes in the Shay's firebox at the summit and he became part of the West Virginia hills.
I miss Lee every day, and we should all be grateful for his contributions to our hobby.
Best,
the Bach-man

An aside -

Thanks Bach-man. I have a first production run of a Bachmann Spectrum HO 80 Ton Three Truck Shay locomotive. Added a copy to the information collected about the model and its prototype.