News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas DCC Sound Module

Started by etwiggar, September 13, 2017, 01:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etwiggar

So I have the basic non-sound equipped large scale Thomas.  I want to add the Bachmann DCC Sound module, but I also want to have DCC control of the engine as well.  Is this board just the sound, or do I need to add another chip as well?

Hunt

Here is partial info --

The Bachmann Large Scale Thomas & Friends DCC Sound Module is actually a full sound decoder and as such does have motor control and sound.

Click Here for decoder operation and installation instructions that are included with the product.

Note:  The instructions assume that you have an understanding of, or experience hard wiring of a DCC decoder and have the tools and supplies needed.  You will have to determine placement and size of the  8-Ohm speaker rated for 3 watts.

etwiggar

Thank you sir! That is exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't think to check the installation sheet. Ordering one tonight.  ;D

Plow_Bender

As one large scale modeler to another, I'd like to offer my advice in regards to this topic.  I'm in no way implying that everything I say is 100% accurate, but I myself have been toying with the whole DCC sound idea for my Thomas & Friends models as well. 

Something that should be noted is that other than Thomas and Percy, we haven't seen anyone install DCC sound into any of the other large scale Thomas & Friends characters.  This is mainly because the price to do this conversion is too ridiculously expensive, and many just don't' want to pay that kind of money.  The cost of the module is one thing, but on top of that you need to go out and purchase additional parts and components in order to do this conversion.  In the long run you'll save a little by doing the instillation yourself instead of paying someone else to do it, but still it's pretty expensive.

Personally from what I've seen, you would be better off going out and buying the Thomas model with DCC sound already installed.  Believe it or not, adding DCC sound to the stock standard Thomas would cost almost as much (if not more) as just going out and buying the Thomas with DCC sound already installed.  I myself plan on replacing my Thomas and Percy models with the DCC sound ones, simply because I'm planning to accommodate DCC on my garden railroad in the near future.

Just a thought.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."