News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Questions

Started by mpoteraj, October 05, 2017, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpoteraj

Q1: What scale would my train be with tracks with an inside Deminsion of 45mms?

Q2: What is the total length can a track be while using OEM transformer?

Piyer

1) 45mm gauge would be 16mm scale (1:19 scale)

2) Number of locomotives and the amount of electricity they require (plus the demands of anything else, such as passenger carriages, that draw power directly from the rails) is the greater limiter of a transformer than layout size itself. That said, the more track you have, the greater the need there is for applying power from more than a single point. This is done with bus wires and feeder wires - think of these as the big water main (bus) and the individual water lines leading to each customer (feeders).
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Hunt

Quote from: mpoteraj on October 05, 2017, 03:04:30 PM

Q1: What scale would my train be with tracks with an inside Deminsion of 45mms?

Depends.  Models  1:32, 1:22.5  and 1:20.3 are scale proportion (model to prototype ) commonly found gauged to run on track that  measures 45 mm between the railheads.

Bachmann makes large scale train in both 1:20.3 and 1: 22.5 gauged to run on 45 mm track.

mpoteraj

Thank you to both of you.  Appreciate the responses.  I have a Bachmann 'large' scale set. iIn regards top the power issue I assume an indicator would be a reduced performance of locomotive if track length creates to much resistance and there is a solution.

Len

The solution to loss of power from increased track length is to add additional power feeders from the power supply. Adding a power feeder to a spot opposite the existing feeder is a good place to start.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.