Conversion of Yuletide/Christmas Express 0-6-0...

Started by John Murphy, December 05, 2007, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Murphy

Maybe this should go on the HO board, but here goes:

I've always been attracted to the deminutive 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2.  The older Christmas loco (green/gold) 0-6-0.

Since purchase, I've converted it to a 2-6-2.  Loco ran well as 0-6-0, and still runs well as a 2-6-2, plus it looks better.  However, tender wheels have started falling out of their trucks.  I plan to remedy this by replacing the plastic wheels with 36 inch diameter wheels from Proto2000 (WALTHERS item # 21257).  Will post what happens.

John Murphy

SteamGene

Your trailing truck wheels may cause the front trucks of the tender to ride too high.  Take a look and see if the front truck is straight on the rails.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

taz-of-boyds

I did not realize 36" was popular with tenders?  I thought they were 33" like regular freight.

Thanks,
Charles

John Murphy

Quote from: SteamGene on December 06, 2007, 09:06:24 AM
Your trailing truck wheels may cause the front trucks of the tender to ride too high.  Take a look and see if the front truck is straight on the rails.
Gene

I must've lucked out because the standard Bachmann 0-6-0 shares the exact same chassis with the 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 -- even to sharing the same screw holes and indents.  If you transfer the lead truck/spring/screw (ditto for trailing truck) from a damaged 2-6-2 (one where the drive rods don't go into the cylenders currectly) the conversion is easy --- just remember not to tighten the lead/trailing truck screws tight enough to hinder truck pivoting.

Tender conversion with new wheels went well - tender doesn't roll as freely as it did with its plastic wheels, but those metal 36 inch wheels aren't going to be falling out any time soon -- for me, the tradeoff was well worth it, since it was either changing wheelsets or trading bad trucks for good ones when tender wheels started to fall off.

Also, Bachmann's new Southern 2-6-2 would be a good match for a replacement for the "White Christmas Express"....  Keep you all posted on progress and reliability....

John Murphy

John Murphy

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on December 07, 2007, 12:34:09 AM
I did not realize 36" was popular with tenders?  I thought they were 33" like regular freight.

Thanks,
Charles

The salesman who helps me at my local hobby shop assumed the same thing -- until he snapped a 33" wheelset in.  He and I were both glad he checked because this Bachmann steamer uses 36" wheels for the tender.
    There ARE times you're better off going to your local hobby shop -- This one is one I've frequented since 1972.  Loyalty does have rewards, just don't abuse the privlidge (sp?).
    John Murphy