News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GG1 Sound?

Started by wobblinwheel, May 03, 2018, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobblinwheel

I finally broke down and purchased an HO scale GG1 with the "Sound Value" installed. Other than blower, compressor, horn and bell (all function controller), the loco makes NO SOUND at all while running! Is this correct? I know GG1's were quiet, but the electric motors make NO SOUND AT ALL? While running, it seems I have a  "no sound" loco...? Also, from the Soundtraxx site, this thing has settings for "automatic bell and grade crossing" AND  "exhaust sounds". I can't seem to make any of that happen. No matter how I set the CV, there are no exhaust sounds, and no way to trigger the grade crossing signals....am I missing something?

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: wobblinwheel on May 03, 2018, 12:52:17 PM
. . . the loco makes NO SOUND at all while running! Is this correct?  . . .

Yes

Quote from: wobblinwheel on May 03, 2018, 12:52:17 PM
. . .. No matter how I set the CV, there are no exhaust sounds, and no way to trigger the grade crossing signals.

What CV (CVs) are you setting and to what value?

wobblinwheel

Cv131- "exhaust volume control". I don't know what this is, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Default is 00, but I don't hear a change at 200. It seems to me the motors should make a sound while running. Speed up, slow down, etc.... right?

wobblinwheel

Also, cv's 193, 194, 195 have to do with "Automatic Bell" settings, and "Grade crossing". What do they do? These cv's are specifically listed for the "Sound Value GG1"...?

Hunt

Quote from: wobblinwheel on May 03, 2018, 07:17:03 PM
Cv131- "exhaust volume control". I don't know what this is, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Default is 00, but I don't hear a change at 200. It seems to me the motors should make a sound while running. Speed up, slow down, etc.... right?

CV 131 Exhaust Volume Control  is not applicable and should not be listed in the document. CV 131 is one of the misprints in the document. A change to CV 131 as you know does nothing.

Another one of the misprints is CV 50 Hyperlight Effects = 142. The default for CV 50 is 141. CV 50 = 141 dims the reverse light when forward direction is selected.

There may be other discrepancies between the document and the decoder. I have not taken the time to look.

Viewing videos of GG1 you wil hear just wind and wheel-track sounds, which are not supported. 

Hunt

Quote from: wobblinwheel on May 03, 2018, 07:24:59 PM
Also, cv's 193, 194, 195 have to do with "Automatic Bell" settings, and "Grade crossing". What do they do? These cv's are specifically listed for the "Sound Value GG1"...?

CV 198 is Digital Mode Automatic Sound Configuration and default is 0, which means the effects it controls are all disabled. 
Experiment:  CV 198 = 2 to enable Automatic Horn Signal
  Note related CVs
  CV 193 Automatic Bell ON Set Point = 5
  CV 194 Automatic Bell OFF Set Point = 10

The Sound Value decoders are made by SoundTraxx to Bachmann specifications but they are not SoundTraxx Tsunami decoders -- however,  in some areas similar. Therefore use the supported CVs listed in

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/images/bachmann/pdf/ho_gg1_sv.pdf

with some drawbacks due to misprints and the fact the GG1 is electric not diesel as an  index  looking up the CVs in

Tsunami Diesel Technical Reference
  Tsunami Diesel User's Guide

to cobble parts of the missing documentation. You should not have to do this but this is what is currently available. Again, this method has some major drawbacks for someone without basic DCC knowledge.

Note: Bachmann has remapped the effect of some of the Functions.

An aside,
Function Assignments
F0 Front/ Rear Light
F1 Bell
F2 Horn
F3 Short Horn
F4 Pantograph sound
F5 Blower
F6 Compressor
F7 Dimmer
F8 Mute

Hunt

BTW before someone asks – Do not try to use Tsunami2 or Econami  Electric decoder documentation with the factory installed Sound Value decoder in the GG1.

wobblinwheel

Thanks for the info! It would be nice if instead of just giving the cv's a "label" (in the Sound Value documentation), they could also tell you what they DO...! I already have the tsunami tech reference guide downloaded for my athearn diesels, I will see if cv 198 settings are compatible. Thanks again!

wobblinwheel

Hunt, some very good information you gave me! The Tsunami Diesel reference guide told me all I needed to know about the automatic sounds! I even enabled "brake squeal", but I haven't had a chance to see if it's there. Automatic grade crossing works great, with a little "bump" from the throttle. Now I'm making a little noise... now I want to see if there are any more "hidden" features on this thing...!

Hunt

Quote from: wobblinwheel on May 04, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
. . . I even enabled "brake squeal", but I haven't had a chance to see if it's there.  . . .

Its not there - brake squeal sound is not supported.

wobblinwheel

Well, that answers that....