News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sitch problems

Started by oldmann, October 15, 2017, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmann

I am having trouble getting my new engine to go through a switch am I doing something wrong

ACY

Check to make sure it isn't picking the points, check that the wheels and track are in guage, check that power is being fed to the frogs, check to make sure it is clear of obstructions and the track and loco wheels are clean. Unfortunately with the information you provided I can only provide those generic suggestions.

RAM

I am having trouble getting my new engine to go through a switch.  What we need to know is, is it stopping, is sit derailing, what type of locomotive,  what type of track?

Trainman203

Detail always helps answer a question. But I have an idea that the engine is too big for a sharp curved switch.

One thing I like about this discussion.  A switch is a switch, like all railroaders call them.  Not a "turnout " as a certain hobby magazine has dictated from exalted heights of glory that it should be.😂

Terry Toenges

I like "switch" too but I caved and started calling them "turnouts". ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Yes - "switch" is correctly being used in this thread.

However, some use switch when referring to turnout.

Using the word "switch" when referring to a "turnout" is incorrect but it is common to see switch incorrectly used.

When an informed real railroad person refers to a switch, they are referring to a component of a turnout and appropriately using the word.  Also, turnout is not just a model railroading term as mistakenly believed by unformed. 

Turnout – a few real world examples,
Click Here ATLANTIC TRACK & TURNOUT CO
Click Here L.B. Foster Company
Click Here Union Pacific
Click Here RailSystem

Bachmann correctly labels a turnout as turnout that some incorrectly refers to as switch, as Bachmann did until it was called to H. Lee Riley's attention over a decade ago.

Trainman203

I can hear the conversation on a local freight, the conductor saying that today there's a lot of " turnouting"  to do. 😮😂

Piyer

Turnout = entire thing (points, frog, main route, diverging route)

Switch = the moving parts of a turnout (aka the points)

Switching = switching, swapping out, placing, or removing rolling stock

Turnouting = getting kicked out of someplace for being a wise***  ;D

Regarding the first two above: Tony Koester explained that on MR Video Plus in part 1 of hand laying track on the Winston-Salem Southbound project layout.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Trainman203

It's great being a wise &&& at my advanced age!  I augmented my income for long years playing music in bars.  If that doesn't make you one, what would!

Back to topic though.  Maybe up in the engineering department they called diverging tracks "turnouts ".  I'm sure some did.  All I'm saying is that for long years as a railfan around yards and befriending a good many train crews , and MOW guys btw too, that I don't  ever recall hearing the term "turnout " from the boots on the ground. 

The gods at certain hobby magazine pontificate from on high that the word "turnout" avoids confusion with electrical on/off toggle devices.  Response 1:  there are plenty of off/on devices in real locomotives but real life crews don't get seem to get confused.  Response 2:  I have "one" off/on device on my railroad - literally the "off/on" of my NCE power source! 😮😂. No confusion there! 😂 None of my "switches" are controlled by "switches!"  They are "switched " by manual switchstands!😱 Just like the prototype.😄

https://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/097-204?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI58XH25361gIVHp7ACh1QvQPNEAQYASABEgKQDfD_BwE