News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

anorher dc or dcc on a small layouy

Started by sarasdad, October 16, 2017, 05:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarasdad

Considering the cost of decoders, with 5 needed would powerpacks be a good option?

jonathan

Depends on how you like to run trains.

I have a medium sized layout, with a triple-track mainline, and two areas available for switching.  Yet, I like my trains to go roundy-round as I watch them.  So, my layout is DC, no decoders anywhere. 

I keep my DCC inventory separate for the club layout and modular train shows.

If you like to do switching/operations, there is an advantage to DCC and would be worth the cost.

But, if you're a roundy-round kind of operator, DCC may be unnecessary. Just an opinion...

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe323

You need to better define the kind of layout you are building and how you will run it.  In my case for example I do a lot of switching so I went DCC because it allows me to have 3 or 4 locomotives parked even though I usually operate only one at a time.

sarasdad

If you nhave Tony Koester's Realisti9c  Desigh on page 55 is siimilar to what Iam planing. Basically aoval,two passing tracks,reverse loop and several induserys. Iown an EE-Z Command and two dcc on boasrd locos. Iam thing a setup like our local NMRA uses when sone wants  to use  dci.e. switch one track to dc. Thank both of you for the replies.