GS4 Daylight DC model 4~8~4 wheels

Started by Hotboost, October 14, 2017, 01:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotboost

Hi I'm after the set of 8 drive wheels for DC daylight as most of my plastic shafts have worn.
I see the have the later DCC model wheels available .Im just wondering if the same?

ACY

Quote from: Hotboost on October 14, 2017, 01:02:20 AM
Hi I'm after the set of 8 drive wheels for DC daylight as most of my plastic shafts have worn.
I see the have the later DCC model wheels available .Im just wondering if the same?
No the parts are not inter-compatible unfortunately, and the parts you seek are not available. Your best bet is likely to upgrade to a new model. The only source for parts would be to cannibalize another locomotive for parts from ebay, a fleamarket, or a train show. The problem is with these locomotives being produced over 30 years ago now, most of them that you will find will probably be worn out and the plastic and other parts just won't be as reliable any more due to their age. There likely is no cheap fix for your issue, because you may find an engine to salvage the replacement parts off of, but that is only a temporary fix and will probably leave you back where you started a year from now when that part or some other part of the locomotive fails or needs replacement or repair.

Hotboost

So the 8 wheels aren't the same diameter as previous model I find it hard to that out of the whole Bachman range there isn't 8 wheels left anywhere!!

tymbomb

Quote from: Hotboost on October 15, 2017, 04:48:08 AM
So the 8 wheels aren't the same diameter as previous model I find it hard to that out of the whole Bachman range there isn't 8 wheels left anywhere!!

I know how you feel!  Just the other day I contacted Chevy about a part for my 1988 Nova and they said they no longer had parts that were that old.  Unbelieveable! 

RAM

The 8 wheels are the same diameter, but everything else is different.   

ACY

Quote from: Hotboost on October 15, 2017, 04:48:08 AM
Like I said before you can likely get the parts you are looking for off of another locomotive from ebay or elsewhere but it would only be a short term temporary fix. That is just the nature of the situation, sorry there is nothing else I can recommend other than to just buy a new model which is readily available from most shops and online.

The wheels for the new locomotive are the same diameter but literally every other component has changed making the replacement parts incompatible in this case.

Hotboost

So could I use the old drive shafts with the new wheels or machine up new shafts using solid pvc rod.