News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40 drive shaft end piece

Started by Omaha, October 16, 2017, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omaha

I have an older Spectrum DD40. One of the plastic pieces that connects the drive shaft and the gear shaft is slipping on the gear shaft. The parts department does not seem to carry that piece. Does anyone have any idea about how to repair or replace that piece. I have tried using a small amount of various glues, but that does not last long. In my opinion that part seems prone to failure since it is thin plastic and it only depends on friction to stick to the gear shaft.

Len

A-Line https://ppw-aline.com/collections/a-line-products/products/12030-universal-joints-coupling-assortment makes several drive shaft "bits and pieces" kits for older Athearn style drives and newer hex end drives.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

Inexperience isn't the only issue. I've be model railroading 50+ years, and it would have never occurred to me in a thousand years to look at a coupler assembly specifically listed for the GP-35 to find a drive shaft coupling that also fits other locomotives.

Bachmann needs to list that drive shaft coupling seperately, with a note that it is a 'universal' HO diesel part except for the GE Dash-8.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Omaha

To Railsplitter. Thanks for the info. That is really weird that they would package it with a coupler and that they would only list it under GP35s.